Unsubscribed non-suppressed users maxing out our account limit, should all be suppressed?

• 25 August 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge +3

We are tracking all visitors to our e-commerce site in Klaviyo, then when they subscribe to our newsletter we add them to the Newsletter list in Klaviyo. This has resulted in 514,854 active accounts who are not subscribed to our newsletter, and 85,000 accounts who are subscribed, meaning we are maxing out our active users max limit. What is the best practice here, should new visitors be added as suppressed, and then when/if they subscribe un-suppress them and add them to the Newsletter list? can a suppressed account even be added to a List via the API?

8 replies

Badge +1

Hi @shane.mitchell,

I have the exact same problem like you and reading through this question is like looking in the mirror.

For mine, the list is also combined from past activities for mini-games on social media as well. So all emails are from all over the place.

For mine, I try to use validation service to tackle it before using any other extreme methods, like DataValidation or BriteVerify or Emailable.

These are all my findings, no advertising purpose, so I won’t be suggesting one or adding any links here.

After using validation service, I then use other casual email providers like Mailchimp to send a value-packed email. Then wait for 30 days to subtract all the qualified leads.

That subtraction can later be used to bulk suppress in Klaviyo.

I think this is my most considerate attempt on the non-subscribe list. I thought about tackle FB or TT ads to see if I’m still their top-of-minds, but that wouldn’t be cost effective.

Bests.

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @shane.mitchell,

Thank you for sharing this with us.

The Klaviyo team created a video covering the key topics to know for iOS 15. I recommend checking that out below

https://community.klaviyo.com/level-up-with-klaviyo-42/recap-video-what-you-need-to-know-for-ios-15-1926

We will also be hosting a live Q&A on this topic on September 21st from 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM (EDT). You can find that link below:

https://community.klaviyo.com/events/live-q-a-ios-15-68

Badge +3

Hi,

using transactional emails to build the List Clean segment is working really well, thank you for that. I am concerned about the upcoming Mail Privacy Protection features in iOS 15 and MacOS Monterey, if these features mean that a lot of iOS and Mac users are not firing email open and click events then I can’t reliably check their engagement for the List Clean segment. I know some niche email clients already block these tracking events but the Apple update will affect a large portion of our userbase.

Thank you,

Shane Mitchell

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @shane.mitchell,

It looks like the best approach will be to use Klaviyo for transactional emails and then use the engagement data from these email interactions to perform a list clean. 

Shane

Yes, that is a fine strategy to pursue! And yes, on your point for users who have interacted that is a great strategy to keep them clean. 

Thanks for being a member of our community!

Badge +3

Hi Dov,

I’m still a little confused, we don’t send Klaviyo emails of any kind to users that have not subscribed to our Newsletter as they have not given permission to receive email, so I don’t see how we can use engagement as a metric for the List Clean of the 500,000 active non-subscribed users. The 500,000 are users who visited our site and performed some action where they provided their email address (e.g. login, checkout ..) but they have not opted-in to receive email.

It looks like the best approach will be to use Klaviyo for transactional emails and then use the engagement data from these email interactions to perform a list clean. 

Shane

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hello @shane.mitchell,

Thank you for your reply.

I completely understand your point on not wanting to universally suppress the active/non-subscribed accounts. That makes complete sense and we do not want to do that for the reason you mentioned above. However, the strategy I originally outlined speaks to targeting only the users within that 500,000 group that are actually unengaged (not the whole lot). This is because following the list cleaning guide (despite the name) will target users in your account who are unengaged, (even if they are not a part of a specific list) and suppress them. The list cleaning segment will use the engagement data from these users to target them for suppression . For example, if one of these 500,000 users who browsed your site was also a part of another segment, and you send a campaign to that segment. They would have engagement data from that interaction. Or, if they have received emails through another action they’ve taken i.e. Started Checkout they could receive an email (and have the option to open or click the email) that way. Therefore, the strategy I outlined above will still successfully clean out at least a portion of the 500,000 in question. From there you can adjust your plan according to the new active subscriber count and you will still maintain the engaged portion of those 500,000 in your account. I hope that makes sense.

Badge +3

Hi Dov,

thank you for the detailed explanation, that helps with maintaining the list of subscribed active users based on engagement, however the majority of our active users are not subscribed as we track every visitor to our site in Klaviyo and only subscribe them if they submit the form on our newsletter subscription page. I don’t want to suppress these active/non-subscribed accounts as they may decide to subscribe in the future, and of course I can’t use email engagement as a list cleaning metric as they are not subscribed to any email lists.

We currently have about 500,000 active accounts that are not subscribed, and 85,000 active accounts that are subscribed and receiving campaign emails, so clearly the active not-subscribed accounts are the main issue and the reason we are exceeding our max limit.

Shane

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @shane.mitchell,

Thank you for sharing this question with the Klaviyo Community.

As you aptly pointed out, to ensure billing compliance in Klaviyo, you must keep your active profile count at or below the number of profiles your plan allows. The way we manage active profile count is primarily through bulk-suppression (although it can be done manually), and we need to be selective about who we suppress because bulk-suppress is a permanent action. The way we achieve lowering the active profile count is by performing a list clean. Despite the name, this process will ensure you are only keeping active and engaged profiles in your account (even if they are not in your Newsletter list).

Segment of users suitable for bulk-suppression

In short, this process will involve building a segment of unengaged users and bulk-suppressing them, only leaving a remainder of active and engaged profiles. Once this selective bulk-suppression has completed, it is at this point that you will revaluate the number of active profiles in your account, and adjust your plan depending on the new number of active profiles. For example, if all a user has done is logged onto the site but not engaged with your marketing content at all, they will be included in this suppression group which will reduce the total number of active profiles in your account.

You should be performing list cleaning periodically to ensure you are only paying for active and engaged profiles in your account. Regular list cleaning is also essential for strong deliverability rates.

Additionally, I recommend setting-up a sun-set flow to try to engage these inactive subscribers who are a part of your Newsletter list.

You can add a suppressed account to the list using the API, however if the profiles are suppressed, they will not be able to receive regular marketing emails.