News

An update on Klaviyo tracking for Shopify merchants

• 2 February 2023
  • 4 replies
An update on Klaviyo tracking for Shopify merchants
Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Klaviyo is now integrated with Shopify’s Customer Privacy API so we can adhere to the Customer Privacy settings you have selected in your Shopify account. These settings dictate how we use cookies to collect and store data for your online store visitors in the EU, EEA, UK, and Switzerland.

What impact does this have on my Klaviyo account?

Based on your Customer Privacy settings in Shopify, Klaviyo may not track onsite events (Active on Site, Viewed Product, and Added to Cart) for visitors to your Shopify store in the EU, EEA, UK, and Switzerland, unless they have provided consent.

You may notice a decline in the volume of onsite events in your Klaviyo account going forward. These events are often used to build segments, trigger browse abandonment or cart abandonment flows, or target onsite forms. Online store visitors in the European regions mentioned above who have not provided consent for onsite behavioral tracking will be excluded from these Klaviyo activities. 

Why is this update being made? 

The data privacy landscape changes frequently, and Klaviyo is committed to helping you stay compliant while giving your customers a great experience they can trust. 

How do I review my privacy settings? 

As a Shopify merchant, you have control over the privacy settings for your store. We will follow the settings that you choose. You can review your Shopify settings by navigating to Online Store > Preferences > Customer privacy within the Shopify Admin.

If you have questions, please feel free to reach out to us. Thank you for being a Klaviyo and Shopify customer.  

4 replies

Badge +3

So, what would a client of mine have to do with regards to this update?

Would they have to add a mention in their privacy settings about the tracking? or does it have to be done when someone agrees to receiving marketing emails? Or when?

Not too sure where to implement this for my client and would love an example or two :)

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @Jaybobo,

Great questions! 

Letting site visitors know of your store’s privacy setting and what you track is not only good practice, but it’s also sometimes required. What actions your client does in regard to this update is really dependent on their business. 

This update will primarily help streamline the facilitation for a number of privacy regulations such as (but not limited to) GDPR compliance, CASL, etc. 

For example, when a store uses the Collected after consent option and the customer does not consent, that visitor would not be served a signup form despite meeting the form’s list/segment or location targeting.

To learn specifically how this change will impact your client’s business, it’s best recommended to consult with their own legal council that specializes in data protection regulations since it is the merchant’s responsibility to adhere to applicable local data protection and privacy regulations. 

David

Badge

Thanks for sharing this useful information for Shopify website merchants. Keep helping. I found the below helpful related article:

https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/4425956184731

Badge

Hi team! I use OneTrust but not with autoblocking as we rely on manual blocking. However, I wanted to explore, how can we enable manual blocking of _kla_id if user denies the consent? The JS app toggle when disabled and Customer preference set to ‘Collect after consent’ still seem to be dropping the cookie from Klaviyo which needs a solution. Please let me know if there is any workaround in place!