Solved

For users that are coming to a webpage that has Klaviyo.js but don't have the cookie, is there a way to track events for those "guest" profiles?

• 17 November 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
  • Contributor II
  • 4 replies

Right now, we can see all klaviyo users on our landing page + we fire custom events based on their interactions with the page.

For people who discover our landing page from other sources, is there a way to see how they interact with our landing page even if we don’t know their email? Something like klaviyo guest profiles.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by marissa.petteruti 18 November 2020, 22:15

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi @mchu !

Klaviyo only tracks the activity of “known browsers,” i.e. browsers that have been cookied in one of a few ways:

• If someone has, at some point, clicked through a Klaviyo email to your website
  • If someone has, at some point, subscribed/opted-in through a Klaviyo form
  • If someone has, at some point, logged into your site and you have identify tracking installed

If someone has done any of the above, you’ll be able to track how they’re interacting with your landing page via the custom events you’ve set up, however, you won’t be able to track the activity of guest profiles who haven’t been cookied.

Hope this helps!
Marissa

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi Marissa, thanks for the response. The last bullet was especially helpful on identity tracking.

Badge +1

@marissa.petteruti
I have been struggling with why my tracking in our test integration stopped working.  I added the ?utm_email=example@gmail.com variable to the URL and it started working again. 

However, we do have the identify tracking in place, so I’m wondering why I would need to run this URL variable to re-cookie my user, if we are identifying them through our website’s account login? Is there a cookie we can add/force when a user logs in and is identified?  Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @CoBE_Sean,

Seems like you were able to find a resolution to the behavior you’re seeing. I’ve shared your post below for others who may be experience a similar behavior:

David