Solved

Can I add the customer's name in subject line of an email?

• 3 October 2021
  • 9 replies

Badge +2

Hey, does anyone know if you can use the first name in the headline? Can I just put in the code “ {{ person.first_name }} “ in there and it will show correctly?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Bobi N. 4 October 2021, 09:55

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +41

@Rain64 

We are using this code for Klaviyo dynamic first name {{ first_name|default:''|capfirst }}

You can check if it is working if you preview email as specific person that has their name added already to the klaviyo account. In case everything is set up properly instead of this code in the preview you will see the name of the subscriber or yours depending on how you preview it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @Rain64

Welcome to the Community! Thanks for sharing your question with us! 

If by headline you mean subject line of an email, the text you see in your inbox before clicking into an email, then yes! Subject lines do support dynamic tags and basic logic such as If/Then Statements. I would suggest following the correct code @Bobi N.gave  for the First Name tag you want to incorporate as well as his spot-on instructions for how to test to see if it’s working correctly. 

Additionally, you can still personalize the email even if you do not have the first name  of the user in your account. You could add a term such as ‘friend’, or whatever best fits your branding, in between the quotation marks after the word ‘ default ’ in the code to insert if there is not first name to call upon and add into the subject line. 

Thanks for asking your question in the Community! 

-Taylor 

Badge +2

Hi @Rain64

Welcome to the Community! Thanks for sharing your question with us! 

If by headline you mean subject line of an email, the text you see in your inbox before clicking into an email, then yes! Subject lines do support dynamic tags and basic logic such as If/Then Statements. I would suggest following the correct code @Bobi N.gave  for the First Name tag you want to incorporate as well as his spot-on instructions for how to test to see if it’s working correctly. 

Additionally, you can still personalize the email even if you do not have the first name  of the user in your account. You could add a term such as ‘friend’, or whatever best fits your branding, in between the quotation marks after the word ‘ default ’ in the code to insert if there is not first name to call upon and add into the subject line. 

Thanks for asking your question in the Community! 

-Taylor 

Hello Taylor,

How do I check the Subject Line of an email if it’s in a flow (not a templete?).

The preview option is only showing me the body of the email.

Kindly advise,

Tarek

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @T_Sidany

Happy to help! Thanks for sharing your question with us!

A template is still a template whether it’s sent out as a flow or campaign! You can choose the option to send the preview to your email so you can see the subject line of your email and whether the tag works or not! 

Thanks for participating in our Community!

-Taylor 

Badge +2

Hi @Taylor Tarpley,

Appreciate you takling the time to reply, but I’m still confused a litte.

To start off, the email i want to test is not a template, it’s in a flow. But even when I go templates and select an pre-existing template email, first, there is no place for me to see or edit the subject! and Second, I do not have the same screen that you showed in your reply. Here’s my option, is this because I need to upgrade my account?:

When I sent the above email, I get an email in my inbox with a subject promoting that this is a test preview.

Thnx for helping,

Tarek

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @T_Sidany

Happy to help!

If you want to change your flow message to have the first name in the subject line, you will need to go to the individual flow and flow message you are looking to change, not the Email Templates tab. That is why you’re not seeing the screenshot I attached above. When you navigate to the specific flow message’s subject line you want to change, you will see the same screenshot. 

Hope this clarifies things!

Badge

I have the same issue as Tarek here. I don’t think Taylor understands the issue.

A user wants to test the ‘subject line’ of an e-mail to see if a ‘custom property’ such as ‘first_name’ is populated correctly. But currently you cannot test a subject line in Klaviyo - it seems the subject line is prepopulated and uneditable (comes in as ‘[template name] Preview’).

How do you ‘test send’ an email in a flow with a custom property in the subject line (instead of just send a flow live and hoping for the best)?

Thanks,
Ben.

Badge +2

If I add {{ first_name|default:''|capfirst }} to my subject line, my screen refuses to do anything. I cannot edit my mail any longer I cannot click the button continue to review. When I refresh the page, the first name code will then be deleted. Same happens when I try to switch from Campaigns to flows and Klaviyo asks me if I want to save or discard the changes. The fist name code will be deleted even when I chose to save.

What am I missing? What am I doing wrong?

Badge +2

If I add {{ first_name|default:''|capfirst }} to my subject line, my screen refuses to do anything. I cannot edit my mail any longer I cannot click the button continue to review. When I refresh the page, the first name code will then be deleted. Same happens when I try to switch from Campaigns to flows and Klaviyo asks me if I want to save or discard the changes. The fist name code will be deleted even when I chose to save.

What am I missing? What am I doing wrong?

So apparently my computer was having some issues causing the code not to work. Now it does work! Excellent. 😎