Solved

Does changing Shopify Product Title impact trigger splits, flow filters, and segments that are already built using the prior Shopify Product Title?

• 4 November 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

Since it’s not a new product, and only the product title (name) has changed in Shopify, will any of the triggers, filters, catalogues, and segments already built in Klaviyo need to be updated? Or will everything still work automatically because product id would be the same? 

icon

Best answer by David To 7 November 2022, 16:15

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Malavate,

Great question! This would really all depend on the filter and segment definitions you were using.

For example, if your definitions were centered around static ID that didn’t change such as product ID, SKU, variant ID, etc. then they wouldn’t need to be updated. However, if you used different methods to target your product that were updated recently such as the product name or catalog/collection, then you will have to update those definitions. This is because changes are not retroactive. Plus, it would be really confusing in the future if you saw a definition that read “placed order at least once where product equals ABC” but you saw someone who purchased product DEF enter the segment or flow. 

I explained it a bit more details on this in a previous Community post that I’ve linked below:

I hope this helps!

David

Badge +2

Thank you @David To I also read the related post you linked. Thanks for that. 

Just to clarify a couple things...

#1 Is this true whether we are using “items contains PRODUCT” or “name equals PRODUCT”? Is “items” treated the same as name in Klaviyo? 

#2 If change the name of a product, and then add that product with the new name to a Collection/Category we are already using as a filter in a flow, will the flow filter automatically include that new product moving forward since the name of the Category has not changed? 

Thanks again for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Malavate,

It would be true whether you’re using “items” or “name” as the filter. These two filters are typically used interchangeably - all depends on the metric you’re using.

I don’t see why the flow filter wouldn’t automatically include the new product. Since your filter is based on a collection/category, the name shouldn’t effect this. 

David