Solved

How to remove a segmented group of people from a flow

• 27 April 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

I have created a thank you flow for people who have placed an order.

But I don’t want monthly subscribers to be part of this flow. I currently have a segment of my subscribers. How do I add this segment into my flow and ask them not to receive the email?

Thanks for your help.

Ruth 

icon

Best answer by Dov 28 April 2021, 15:01

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hello @rutholdfield,

Thanks for sharing your question with the Klaviyo Community.

At this time, it isn't possible to exclude a segment from a flow, only a list. The solution is to include the opposite conditions of the segment as flow filters in the flow. For example, if your segment is defined as “Viewed Product at least once over all time and is in list X”, you would use the following flow filters: “Viewed Product zero times over all time and is not in list X” to prevent those segment members from entering the flow.

Thanks and have a great day.

Badge +2

Hi @dov.derin 

So I’m not quite sure I get this. Basically, I don’t want to include people who have ‘Ordered Product at least once in past 32 days where product name equals compostable coffee pod subscription.

So would I therefore put:

Ordered Product at zero times in past 32 days where product name equals compostable coffee pod subscription.

Does that make sense? Thank you for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @rutholdfield,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, exactly! You got it.

Badge +2

Hi @dov.derin just to triple check! Does this look alright? I have three subscriptions that go out each month and I don’t want them to receive the just checking in that your order has arrived email that one-off customers get.

Thank you thank you thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hello @rutholdfield,

Thank you for your reply and for sharing that additional information with the Community.

You’ll want to use “AND” separators rather than “OR” separators in your case. This is because the “OR” connector requires that the user only has to meet one of the joined conditions in order to be included. Using your example, somebody could have ordered a Coffee Bean Subscription and not a Coffee and Chocolate Subscription and qualify, using “OR” separators.

Conversely, Klaviyo checks each condition separated by AND individually; therefore, each condition must be true in order for someone to be included. Using your example, using “AND”, any given user entering the flow would be required to place an order zero times for all 3 subscriptions (in the last 32 days) to be included in the flow. In other words, anyone who placed an order for any of these items in the last 32 days will be excluded.

We have an article that speaks to “AND” vs “OR” in greater detail here.

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Badge +2

Hi @dov.derin , can I ask you another question about this as people are still receiving the flow. I’ve currently used AND but they don’t have to have ordered all three subscriptions.

We have people who buy one off products from our website and I send them an email saying - just checking that your order has arrived. but for people who subscribe to one of our subscriptions, I don’t want them to receive the flow. So should I revert back to OR?

People don’t buy more than one subscription. Hope that makes sense! thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @rutholdfield,

Thank you for your reply.

Using “AND” will exclude anyone who placed an order for any of these subscription items in the last 32 days for the reasons I described in the post above. So “AND” is the correct separator to filter out these subscribers. 

To reference my previous example, the “OR” connector is incorrect in this case because it requires that the user only has to meet one of the joined conditions in order to be included. For example, somebody could have ordered a Coffee Bean Subscription and not a Coffee & Chocolate Subscription and qualify using “OR” separators because they meet the former criteria. But this is not what you want, you want to exclude anybody who has placed an order for any of these subscriptions in the last 32 days. 

If you’re looking to better understand “AND” vs “OR” I recommend reading through the guide I attached in my prior post.

In terms of addressing the users that are receiving the flow, there could be a couple of things going on. First, I recommend checking to see if these users placed an order for one of these subscriptions outside of the 32 day timeframe i.e. 35 days ago and thus qualified for the flow.

I would also check the dropdown menu in your flow, after you click on “where ProductName equals” and check to see if there is another version of an existing subscription name there. For example, something like “coffee bean subscription” instead of “Coffee Bean Subscription”. If you updated the subscription name at some point, you may have multiple ProductNames of the same product. If this is the case, ensure that you separate any additional subscription names using “AND” “Ordered Product Zero times in the last 32 days where ProductName equals X”. 

So sum it up, you are using the correct separator for your use-case, just double-check that the profiles that are receiving the flow indeed meet the 32 day criteria and that you are excluding any additional product names.

I hope that helps. Have a wonderful day.