Solved

Profile property help

Badge +2

Hi,

I’ve created an embedded form, and a flow to send a notification to our staff whenever someone submits the form. I want to pull the fields from the form into the notification email, but am having trouble getting the correct variable fields. I’ve mapped standard klaviyo profile properties to the form fields. Everything above the dotted line in the email below works fine. Below the line doesn’t:

{{ first_name }} from {{ person.organization.name }} just submitted a wholesale enquiry form. Contact them on:

{{ email }} or phone {{person.phone_number }}

………………………………………………………...

Address is {{person.address}}

{{ first_name }} is interested in:

{{person.tag1}}

Here's the message they left:

{{person.notes }}

I’ve used the following profile property for tag1 in the form (it’s a multi checkbox):

and this for the notes:

Thank you :)

icon

Best answer by David To 16 June 2021, 17:15

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @Joe Tang,

Hi,

Thanks, this is helpful. Unfortunately, I was only using “country” as an example. Are things complicated if the property I wanted to use was a custom property?

That’s ok - the same theory applies to other properties that are not “country”. You would just need that custom property to be present on at least one profile before you’d be able to select it from the dropdown menu in the flow filter.

Also, how do I associate each flow filter with a different email now? Will I be able to attach a different email / flow for each filter now?

Thanks for your help!

The flow filter will scan each profile (email address) autonomously as they enter the flow. And you only need to insert it on the trigger-level (not before each email). I recommend reviewing our documentation on flow filters which will help explain this further. So say you have your flow filter set to country = Canada OR country = USA. Any profile that meets either of those criteria (they’re located in either Canada or the US) would enter. Anybody not in those countries would not.

I hope that’s helpful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @ChristinaD,

Thanks for sharing your question with the Klaviyo Community!

Since your form are collecting those fields as tag1, notes, and address, they would be considered custom profile properties. Instead of your variable syntax being in the {{ person.PROFILE_PROPERTY }} format, you’ll need to use the {{ person|lookup:’PROFILE_PROPERTY’ }} format. This is because the {{ person.PROFILE_PROPERTY }} format are often times reserved for Special Properties where as the {{ person|lookup:’PROFILE_PROPERTY’ }} is used for custom profile properties. 

As such, instead of your tags reading as:

• {{person.tag1}}
  • {{person.notes }}
  • {{person.address}}

You’ll want your tags to read:

• {{ person|lookup:’Tag1’ }}
  • {{ person|lookup:’Notes’ }}
  • {{ person|lookup:’address’ }}

You can learn more about using properties and more on dynamic syntaxes from the Guide to Properties and About Custom Properties articles. Also keep in mind that when creating these tags they are spelling and case sensitive. Incorrectly spelling or using the incorrect case would cause your syntaxes to not render. 

I hope this helps!

David

Badge +2

Hi, 

I have the same problem where it says the “lookup” filter needs 2 arguments. Do you have any other suggestiosn on how to fix this? I typed in the exact same format as you said and it still doesn’t work.

Thanks

Badge +2

Thanks David,

I tired that format, but am getting the following error:

There is an error in your email content.<br />The "lookup" filter requires 2 arguments, but 1 was given

Any suggestion on what’s going wrong?

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @Joe Tang,

Thanks for this question.

Another way to do this is to use “Insert Property” in the dropdown menu within a text block. Here, you can select your desired property and we’ll auto-populate the tag.

If you have a lot of properties, you can always use the search function at the top to search for your desired property.

The same principle can be applied in the new Klaviyo editor using the “personalization” button.

I hope that’s helpful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @ChristinaD,

I would recommend trying to use those syntaxes I provided but without any extra formatting. If you were copying and pasting what I provided directly, this may have brought over some latent formatting which may have cause the syntax to not be understood by Klaviyo. 

David

Badge +2

Hi,

Is there a way to create an email flow where the first conditional split can split contacts in a list based on different values of one property. For example, if I made a custom property called “country”, is there a way to tell the flow to go down this part of the flow if a contact in a list has “USA” as its value and down a different part of the flow if a contact has “Canada” as its value etc. 

Right now, I have a flow that does this but it contains a lot of conditional splits. I have a conditional split that tests, “if the property equals USA”, go down this part of the flow. If not, I have another conditional split testing “if the property equals Canada”, do this. I don’t want to have to make a new conditional split for every single country in order to identify what part of the flow a contact should go down. Is there a more streamlined way to do this?

I hope this makes sense. 

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @Joe Tang,

Thanks for your reply.

I have good news - since “Country” is a default Klaviyo property, it can be selected directly from the menu under “Properties about Someone” which will save you the trouble of creating a net-new custom property. To read more about how this property is set, check out our article here

Also, there is a slightly easier way to do this than adding in multiple conditional splits.

Instead, consider adding a single flow filter to your existing flow and list the countries you want to include separated by “OR” criteria (screenshot below for reference). Although you will still have to list each individual country, this will circumvent the step of creating multiple splits.

If you want to include all but a few countries, consider using country “doesn’t equal” instead of “equals” and list out the countries you want to exclude separated by “AND”. For example, properties about someone > country doesn’t equal Afghanistan AND properties about someone country doesn’t equal China AND properties about someone country doesn’t equal Israel to include all countries but these 3.

The reason you’d use “OR” in the first case and “AND” in the second case is because “OR” is inclusive and “AND” is exclusive. For more information on “AND” vs “OR” have a look at our guide here

I hope that’s helpful.

Badge +2

Hi,

Thanks, this is helpful. Unfortunately, I was only using “country” as an example. Are things complicated if the property I wanted to use was a custom property?

Badge +2

Also, how do I associate each flow filter with a different email now? Will I be able to attach a different email / flow for each filter now?

Thanks for your help!