Solved

Reusing Expiring Dynamic Welcome Coupon in Abandoned Cart Flow

• 6 July 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

At the moment I’ve got a dynamic welcome coupon set up ‘welcome15’ that is set to have an expiration of 7 days. I am using this same code in our abandoned cart flow as well but only for customers who have never purchased. I’ve noticed those emails are getting a great open/click through rate but no purchases. My questions are: 

If someone is currently in the Welcome Flow, are they getting the same exact coupon in the abandoned cart flow if they abandon their cart? 

If someone was previously in the welcome flow, never purchased, and then a few weeks later they are in the abandoned cart flow, does the abandoned cart flow know to create a new discount code for them and not use the previous expired one?

Basically, I’m concerned customers are getting expired codes possibly? Do I have this setup in the best way I can for success with our welcome offer?

icon

Best answer by Manny Singh 6 July 2021, 05:31

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

This is an awesome question.  Based on this help article:

If you use the same coupon tag within multiple flow messages, the recipient will receive the same unique code each time until the code expires. 

So, if you have the same tag within multiple emails in the welcome flow, it’ll show that same coupon code to that person until the code expires. 

However, I’m not 100% sure if you use that same coupon code in a different flow what would happen.  Maybe a Klaviyo team member can help clarify that question.

Also, one way to test it out is create a burner email and go through those actions yourself on the site to see what happens (I’ve found some many mistakes in our emails by going through it as a “customer/subscriber”)

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @steez_brand,

Adding to @Mailbox Manny’s comment, so long as the coupon code generated has not expired, using it in multiple emails would still render the same code. This would also apply if you added the code to multiple different flows. 

Only until the coupon code as expired would using the same discount syntax render a new discount code for customers that received this new email. 

I hope this helps!

David

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hello @steez_brand,

Adding to @Mailbox Manny’s comment, so long as the coupon code generated has not expired, using it in multiple emails would still render the same code. This would also apply if you added the code to multiple different flows. 

Only until the coupon code as expired would using the same discount syntax render a new discount code for customers that received this new email. 

I hope this helps!

David

Awesome, thanks this helps!!