What is one best practice or recommendations you have for creating a high-performing welcome series?!

• 14 August 2023
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Hello Klaviyo Community!

I have been working in the email industry for a long time and I have learned a lot from working at different agencies, working with a lot of different clients, and from other Klaviyo users in this community.

One of the most common email flows a brand can set up is their welcome series, and in my opinion, one of the most essential email series any business can help to deliver value immediately to new subscribers while educating them on your business. 

Over the years, I have developed a process for helping brands build out their welcome series, but I know there are other strategies or tactics you all are using to craft your own. 

If you had to share one best practice or recommendation for creating a welcome series, what would it be?!

Anyone is welcome to share, but I’d love to hear from the other Klaviyo Champions 👉 @Bobi N. @retention @chelsgrove @Akers Digital @Spark Bridge Digital LLC @Omar @ebusiness pros @KatherineB @inboxingmaestro @Brett_Gatsby @Ashley I. @Kylie W 

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +42

@In the Inbox 

Well i think the obvious answer would be discounts :D haha 

But honestly Exit intent flow that we are having which is partially a welcome flow is the most intentional flow there is and that drives the most sales.. It starts with pop up showing on collection and product pages showing when people try to exit the page and it offers a discount if people buy immediately.. so everyone who subscribes is expecting a code. So this is one of our best performing flows in all aspects for all of our clients..

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

@In the Inbox - Great question. You can read my thoughts on Welcome Program here - 

Hope that helps. Any questions, let me know.

Regards,

Mohsin

Userlevel 5
Badge +28

Great idea for a conversation @In the Inbox  😁

One key principal I stand by for engaging customers (and this is not only specific to Welcome Flow, but is a key aspect of this) is Social Proof.

Social Proof is key (in my opinion) when engaging your customers. It is relatable, it is honest, it is an insiders voice to the product and now days, it is required by the audience. 

Social Proof can be displayed in many ways throughout email communication, to capture an audience and to best showcase your product/s and or services.

Thanks,

Kylie

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Great idea for a conversation @In the Inbox  😁

One key principal I stand by for engaging customers (and this is not only specific to Welcome Flow, but is a key aspect of this) is Social Proof.

Social Proof is key (in my opinion) when engaging your customers. It is relatable, it is honest, it is an insiders voice to the product and now days, it is required by the audience. 

Social Proof can be displayed in many ways throughout email communication, to capture an audience and to best showcase your product/s and or services.

Thanks,

Kylie

Hi @Kylie W - This is great and I couldn’t agree more. Social Proof is so important for consumers, especially when they are evaluating a new product or business. What have been some of the ways you’ve displayed social proof in your welcome emails? Are there certain tactics that have worked better than others?

I think it would be important to also note how you are collecting your social proof to be used in these emails. 

Thanks for sharing your recommendation and looking forward to learning more!

@In the Inbox 

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

@In the Inbox - Great question. You can read my thoughts on Welcome Program here - 

Hope that helps. Any questions, let me know.

Regards,

Mohsin

Hi @inboxingmaestro 

Thank you for sharing your post! There are some really good insights here. I really liked the following:

Ask, nudge, and track your users so they share information about themselves and their preferences. This gives you extra insight to build your first-party data you can use and personalize your emails better from the get-go. This can be anything from: 

• Filling in their preferences
  • Adding items to their wishlist 
  • A giveaway, contest, survey, or coupon that gathers more customer info

I am really curious to know more about this, because I agree, this is really important and effective. I’ve done a little of this with my own clients where we include some of their top product categories, and if someone clicks on that category, we mark it in a profile property for future segmentation based on perceived interest. 

Do you have any examples of how you present adding items to their wishlist or the giveaway that you’d be willing to share!?

Thanks,

@In the Inbox 

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

@In the Inbox

Well i think the obvious answer would be discounts :D haha 

But honestly Exit intent flow that we are having which is partially a welcome flow is the most intentional flow there is and that drives the most sales.. It starts with pop up showing on collection and product pages showing when people try to exit the page and it offers a discount if people buy immediately.. so everyone who subscribes is expecting a code. So this is one of our best performing flows in all aspects for all of our clients..

Hi @Bobi N. 

Great idea! 

In this case, are your flows from an Exit Intent different than if someone had signed up on entry? Is it just one email to deliver the coupon/offer, or do you include other emails? While you are working to capture the first conversion, how do you frame the email to also try and build relationships? What other content do you include, if any, in these particular emails. 

I can see this going both ways. One, where the email is more of a brand’s last chance to capture a new user, one that was just about to leave. Or two, where the email is positioned to deliver the promised coupon, but written more to give the best of the brand or sent in a faster cadence to deliver the series to take an even more shortened attention to build a relationship with these users. 

If you’re willing, I’d love to unpack this more!

Thanks, 

@In the Inbox 

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Wow great discussion @In the Inbox! And such great info from @Bobi N.  @inboxingmaestro, @Kylie W

Something else to consider is that when people enter your welcome flow, this is the most engaged and excited they will be. I usually aim to have the whole welcome flow deliver within 10 days of subscribing, when subs are most likely to convert. 

Depending on your product, or if it’s a bigger ticket item or requires a lot of education or understanding, using the welcome flow to start educating the customer primes them for their purchase. In addition to delivering a welcome offer, showcasing social proof, and collecting info on your subs (I love using profile property update links for this), this is also a great place to show your subs what you’re all about - your brand, your mission, your USP. Building loyalty starts here. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +28

Hi @In the Inbox 

Depending on what our key message is in that specific email, we will tailor which review is presented. For example; if the email is around introducing the brand more, then reviews that speak of service from that brand are displayed. We also find having these shown mid way through email are best too.

If the email is about a key product or collection, then we choose product focused reviews to be displayed and will display these against this product.

Certainly, we use Stamped.io for collecting our reviews primarily, however we also have many customers who email in directly too. I know there is alot more we can do here in terms of capture!

Kylie

Userlevel 7
Badge +42

Hi @Bobi N. 

Great idea! 

In this case, are your flows from an Exit Intent different than if someone had signed up on entry? Is it just one email to deliver the coupon/offer, or do you include other emails? While you are working to capture the first conversion, how do you frame the email to also try and build relationships? What other content do you include, if any, in these particular emails. 

I can see this going both ways. One, where the email is more of a brand’s last chance to capture a new user, one that was just about to leave. Or two, where the email is positioned to deliver the promised coupon, but written more to give the best of the brand or sent in a faster cadence to deliver the series to take an even more shortened attention to build a relationship with these users. 

If you’re willing, I’d love to unpack this more!

Thanks, 

@In the Inbox

@In the Inbox 

We using this flow just to deliver scaled discounts since that is exactly what people subscribe for.. so usually there are 4 emails in this flow.. the offered discount in the pop up, then reminder and then a bigger discount and reminder. The flow ends after people place order though.
So yes this is not the best flow for nurturing but it is great to convert new subscribers to customers. Usually this flow has 5 times more RPR than other flows.. It is intentional on both sides we who want people to buy and also people subscribing with intention to get discount so they can buy..

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Wow great discussion @In the Inbox! And such great info from @Bobi N.  @inboxingmaestro@Kylie W

Something else to consider is that when people enter your welcome flow, this is the most engaged and excited they will be. I usually aim to have the whole welcome flow deliver within 10 days of subscribing, when subs are most likely to convert. 

Depending on your product, or if it’s a bigger ticket item or requires a lot of education or understanding, using the welcome flow to start educating the customer primes them for their purchase. In addition to delivering a welcome offer, showcasing social proof, and collecting info on your subs (I love using profile property update links for this), this is also a great place to show your subs what you’re all about - your brand, your mission, your USP. Building loyalty starts here. 

Hi @KatherineB 

Thank you so much for your feedback! I agree with you 100%. I usually call this period the “Sign-up Honeymoon” because subscribers are excited and usually more likely to engage with your emails. Let me ask you this… with a typical welcome series spanning 10 days and the opportunity to educate users about who you are, do you suppress new subscribers from receiving your marketing sends during this time?

I have debated this a lot. On one hand, sending them your regular marketing emails might get them to convert sooner, especially with a promotion or special offer. On the other hand, it can be a lot of emails within a short period of time.

Also, with a 10-day span, how many emails are you likely to recommend and what sort of content do you include in those emails?

Thanks for the discussion! This has been really valuable to learn from you all! Let’s keep it going!!

@In the Inbox 

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Hi @In the Inbox 

Depending on what our key message is in that specific email, we will tailor which review is presented. For example; if the email is around introducing the brand more, then reviews that speak of service from that brand are displayed. We also find having these shown mid way through email are best too.

If the email is about a key product or collection, then we choose product focused reviews to be displayed and will display these against this product.

Certainly, we use Stamped.io for collecting our reviews primarily, however we also have many customers who email in directly too. I know there is alot more we can do here in terms of capture!

Kylie

Hi @Kylie W 

I like this a lot! So, you essentially sprinkle in different types of reviews that match the content of the email throughout the welcome series. 

I’m curious, have you test this? What sort of engagement did you monitor with or without the social proof in each of the emails?

Thanks so much for the conversation and recommendations! This is great to learn from each other and share some more tactical recommendations.

Best @In the Inbox 

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

@In the Inbox 

It depends a bit on the brand, the product(s), where they came from, how much education is needed, etc. but hands down the thing I always include is objection handling content.

What form that takes depends on all the same factors above… (FAQs, Social Proof, Storytelling) but there’s likely something holding them back from purchasing and I want to nip that in the bud ASAP