Solved

CSV Export Fields vs API GetProfile Fields

• 30 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Is there documentation to map Profile fields exported via a Segment export (assume all fields are exported) to the API json fields returned in the Get Profile API?  Many are obvious but there are some that are not as direct.  There also appears to be a variance between the fields returned via these two methods.

icon

Best answer by Brian Turcotte 8 February 2024, 21:36

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @dlongbottom-solvenna!

Would you be willing to provide some more information/examples about how the fields are different between exports of those two methods (with screenshots if applicable)?

This will help myself and other Community members understand the issue better.

Best,

Brian

Badge +1

@Brian Turcotte 

An example of a common value that is named differently would be the Last_Active column in the CSV versus the last_event_date attribute in the Get Profile API.  At least, the value is the same and appears to represent the last event activity for the given profile.

Another variance is missing columns in the CSV.  For example, I see an ip attribute for the location in the Get Profile API but no matching column is returned in the CSV.  I’m guessing this is due to the fact that the noted column is not populated for any of my profiles.  As such, the CSV does not export it but the API json struction is somewhat fixed and includes it regardless.

Another variance is the CSV appears to convert time values to the local timezone of the browser while the API leaves them in UTC.

Ultimately, what I’d love to see is documentation on the details of the CSV process.  A simple matrix to show column alignment with the API (as well as the slightly different structure returned by the Export Profile option) and nuances like the exclusion of columns from the CSV if they are not populated (assuming that is correct) or the timezone conversion.

Does that help?

Thanks,

Doug

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @dlongbottom-solvenna!

I will definitely forward this to our Documentation team for consideration!

I agree this would be an insightful thing to reference.

Best,

Brian