Solved

Klaviyo for marketplaces advice?

• 27 February 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

I tried contacting Klaviyo support, but they were little help with this question. So, I’m hoping the community might be able to help.

We are a new marketplace for handmade goods which means there are TWO users on every transaction (the buyer and the seller). I’m looking to see if Klaviyo has the ability to work for marketplaces.

We operate similar to other marketplaces (such as Etsy or EBay) where every order has a vendor and buyer. So, they both need communication from us when an order is placed. The buyer needs to receive an order confirmation and the seller needs to be informed they just got a new order.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to use Klaviyo to send to TWO contacts on a single order?

If anyone can help with this I would be forever grateful!

Jon

icon

Best answer by agrath 27 February 2023, 21:13

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi Jon

Completely understand your use-case here, I’m not affiliated with Klaviyo though I am a custom software developer and we’ve just about completed an integration for one of our clients so I’m fairly familiar with the platform offerings.

Klavyio has two main entities, contacts and metrics/events. The main communication tool is a flow which is essentially summed up as: respond to an event, do a sequence of things, checking conditions along the way (and sometimes varying the email that is sent)

To restate the goal, in your scenario, you’ve got an event (a transaction/order, or perhaps a dispatch notification) and you want to be able to email two different parties (the buyer and the seller) differently - e.g. you might want to notify the seller that the order has been processed, and notify the buyer that the order has been accepted, simultaneously.

Out of the box, as I understand it, Klaviyo cannot do this specifically.

A flow is typically either a transactional flow (support must edit this for you) in which case the flow is typically triggered off an event/metric (a custom message from your platform) and the event/metric contains everything needed for typically a single email.

Or the flow is a contact centric flow which might be like an onboarding sequence and therefore emails multiple different contacts with the same content depending on their properties/state.
That type of flow might be triggered off an original event/metric like new customer created, and send a series of emails spread over time.

You can have a flow which is triggered off an event/metric, and then check contact properties in conditions (which can be custom/user defined) to perform actions, or use data from that event/metric however I think this would quickly get clunky/not scale well with having potentially multiple orders and even perhaps sellers and buyers both overlapping (a buyer might also be a seller)

I think the best way to set this up is to have each of your relevant parties (buyer/seller) as individual contacts that are synchronised across from your platform. 

Then have an event/metric that is sent from your platform that triggers two different flows - one for each of the parties.

However, this does require custom development on your platform/software. 

If it happens to be custom and written in .net we might be able to help here, otherwise you’ll have to contact your existing development team for this.

Good luck!

Gareth Evans, Sniper Systems Ltd
Wellington, New Zealand

Badge +1

Gareth,

This is fantastic information and I appreciate all of your thoughts! 

Good luck with the jobs you have currently going. I hope someday I can repay the favor.

Jon

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Since this is the developer group I’m assuming you have the development capability to create and submit custom events.

@jlincoln your use case is no problem for Klaviyo, you just need to send an event with the proper information, or send two events.  Since this is technically two events (the vendor ‘sells’ and the buyer ‘buys’) it makes sense that you would send two events.  You then have two different flows that trigger off the different events.

Most of my replies on this forum surround the idea that Klaviyo is a NoSQL solution, so the usual understanding of ‘an order is X’ doesn’t apply.  An ‘order’ is nothing special in Klaviyo, it is just an event with the label ‘order’ (or whatever you specified). There is no order ‘class’ or special structure, you just send whatever data you want and call it whatever you want.  You can send whatever number of events you want, too (we send 5 events when an order is placed, for example).

Badge +1

Thanks @cdetdi ! Yes, we have two full-time developers. I was doing preliminary research on Klaviyo’s capabilities and will brings this to our devs.

I appreciate your response!

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Thanks @cdetdi ! Yes, we have two full-time developers. I was doing preliminary research on Klaviyo’s capabilities and will brings this to our devs.

I appreciate your response!

Your devs will (should) really enjoy deploying Klaviyo.  After working with other solutions in this space, our team was over the moon happy with the sway to Klaviyo.