Solved

Using Track API to create a WordPress User with custom properties to Klaviyo

• 14 July 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

We have a client that has a specific user type, “Pro”, in WordPress. When the user becomes a “Pro”, we want to create and/or update the user in Klaviyo with the custom property of “Pro”. I know that we have to use the Track API but I don’t know the specifics on how to get this done as I am not a programmer. Any insights or help would be greatly appreciated.

icon

Best answer by Brian Turcotte 24 July 2023, 21:01

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @GetTorchlight!

I’m going to check on this with our Engineering team and get back to you when I have more information!

Best,

Brian

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @GetTorchlight!

My apologies for the delay here!

This sort of integration will likely require some development knowledge, as all of them will require you making automated API calls from your server to one of Klaviyo’s endpoints.

The exact steps may vary depending on how users become “Pro’s”, but this can be accomplished in several ways. First, you could use the Update Profile to add a custom property called “Pro” to a profile using the properties object. For example, the property name could be User_Type and the value could be Pro:

Or, like you said, you could use the Create Client Event API (formerly the Track API) to accomplish the same thing, by passing in a profile property in the properties object as in the screenshot above. 

The difference between these two methods is that the Update Profile endpoint is on the server-side, while the Create Client Event endpoint is on the client (browser) side, so the choice will depend on the mechanism through which users become “Pro” users on your site.

Although we can provide direction on which endpoints to use and when, advising on the actual structure of how you make the API calls would warrant a custom use case beyond the scope of Community/Support. That said, if you are looking for extra development help, you’re always welcome to reach out to one of our wonderful Official Klaviyo Partners

Thanks for using the Community!

- Brian

Userlevel 7
Badge +44

Hi @GetTorchlight,

I'm not sure if it helps but you could try using Zapier to send an event to Klaviyo in case this happens.

No developer needed!

Omar Lovert // Polaris Growth // Klaviyo Master Platinum Partner

We help with e-commerce growth through CRO, Klaviyo and CVO

Badge

I am familiar with Zapier and did find a WordPress/Klaviyo integration. This is likely the solution I will use but still weighing out my options. Thank you guys for your responses. It is much appreciated.