woocommerce - very limited events - transactional emails

• 11 July 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

How can we get Klaviyo to add more events events from woocommerce on an order for transactional emails? It seems like it’s so limited and I can see that shopify has far more events that are being transferred over. Are woocommerce users such an small base for Klaviyo subscribers that it’s just too much of a hassle? 😭

3 replies

Badge +2

Hey @brose, unfortunately this has been my experience as well..
I wanted to include some custom meta for each line item that is sent to Klaviyo via the official Klaviyo-Woocommerce plugin.

Thinking maybe that the data is sent via a Woocommerce webhook, I tried adding the data I needed to the webhook payload using the ‘woocommerce_webhook_payload’ filter, in the same way as these instructions.

However, the data still did not show up in Klaviyo.

It looks like the only way to achieve this is to track the event data using the API in a function that is hooked to ‘woocommerce_payment_complete’.

It’s annoying as you’d then have to send over all the data that is already sent to Klaviyo again just to include the extra data you want.

If anyone else has any tips on this, I’d love to hear as it’s a lot of work to build a function that sends all of the order data over (doubling up on the data that’s already sent) just to add in a small bit of extra data.

Badge +3

Hey, 

Im on shopify, so not really sure on woocommerce. 

What type of information are you trying to send across?

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @brose,

When you say you’re looking for more events from WooCommerce, are you talking about actual events/metrics? Or are you talking about for more metadata fields associated with an event like what @Martin Stevens is referring to? 

I would assume you’re talking about the latter since since both the Shopify and WooCommerce integrations sync the same events/metrics to Klaviyo. Those events are: Started Checkout, Placed Order, Ordered Product, Fulfilled Order, Cancelled Order, and Refunded Order which you can learn more from both the Shopify data reference and Reviewing Your WooCommerce Data Help Center articles. If you’re looking to introduce additional events between WooCommerce and Klaviyo, you can do so by developing your own custom events through the use of our API. You can find more details about this process from our Developer Portal.

@Martin Stevens, appreciate the feedback you’ve shared regarding that limitation between our WooCommerce integration! We’re still constantly improving upon the plug-in and integration and I’ll share your feedback with our Product Team for consideration.

David