Solved

Actual email received - compresses the text into a block with no spacing between lines

• 16 March 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

Hi Everyone, 

I’m new to Klayiyo, so apologies if there is an obvious solution to this issue. 

The text of my emails previews completely as it is set out.

But when I send myself a copy it compresses the text into a block with no spacing between lines. 

I’ve tried to clean up the source code by using https://html5-editor.net/ but it I can’t get Klayiyo to accept the Paste!!

Any help would be great - thanks. 

icon

Best answer by stephen.trumble 16 March 2022, 21:29

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Andy. H 

Thank you so much for coming to the Klaviyo Community for help with your email displaying incorrectly in the preview email.

I have one question for you first, what email service provider are you opening the preview emails in? Many of our members have an issue with their email looking wrong when viewed in Outlook. Outlook sometimes skews HTML emails because all versions since Outlook 2007 use Microsoft Word to render HTML/CSS. Because of this, an email display may look slightly off in newer versions of Outlook from what you initially design and preview in Klaviyo. Please let me know if this isn’t the issue so i can dig a little deeper to help!

Badge +2

Hi Stephen, 

Thanks - I am using Outlook / Windows 10… it maybe this issue but, how can I see if our clients are also having the same issue ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Andy. H 

I would recommend previewing the email on a few different email service providers and devices (computer, mobile) to see how it looks when its not viewed in Outlook to make sure it looks the way that you expect it to. You can use tools like Litmus or Email on Acid to test your messages on various devices.

Additionally, you can check the advanced reports tab of your campaign analytics and flow analytics to get a sense of how much of your customer base is opening your emails on Outlook. If the majority of your base uses Outlook you will want to make adjustments to your design but if it's only a small percentage of your customers it make not be worth the hassle to edit and test the email until it looks good in Outlook.

Badge +5

I am having the same issue when I send myself a test email to my Outlook account. I know that some of our users also use Outlook. Should I create extra space between paragraphs in the original to account for the Outlook email, leaving wide paragraphs for those not using Outlook?  Or is there a way to account for the differences before sending so they will adjust correctly depending on the email provider?

Badge

I would assume most people are using Outlook - so I definitely want my emails to display correctly.

So what are my options?  If I space the lines so they look right when I email it to myself in Outlook, it looks too much spacing in the document in Klaviyo - and therefore, presumably to any one not using Outlook. 

Frankly, I don’t understand why Klaviyo thinks this is acceptable?  Am I missing something?  Previously I was overcoming the problem by formatting with DIV - but that option no longers seems to exist in Klaviyo formatting options.  Why did they change it?

Badge

I am also having this issue - and not with Outlook. How can I get my paragraph spacing back?

Top pic shows what I get, bottom pic shows what I want (and what it shows in editor)

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @Parachute

Yes, the main issue is that  Outlook doesn’t abide by CSS style rendering. Klaviyo cannot change the way an inbox provider chooses to render emails sent to them. 

As @stephen.trumble mentioned earlier, using preview testing tools like tools like Litmus or Email on Acid will help you see how your messages on various devices will display. However, the way to best work with Outlook is time and testing. Creating emails that will specifically render ok on Outlook requires making significant changes to how images are positioned, and this can skew how emails render across other email clients and devices. Something our experts recommend in regards to paragraph spacing in Outlook is playing around with different ways of using spacing blocks in the editor rather than margin and padding in your template.

Additionally, it should be noted that we have seen more users having success in outlook when using our new editor vs our classic in Outlook, as long as there isn’t additional inline code present (more on that below).

Thanks for partipcating in the Community!

-Taylor