Solved

Double opt in Shopify Checkout, footer and Klaviyo

• 5 March 2024
  • 9 replies

Badge +1

Hello together,

I have disabled the Shopify double opt mail in, so everything is transferred to Klaviyo as "accepted marketing". For the newsletter list I have activated double opt in in Klaviyo itself.

The following problem: The customers who click on "accept marketing" in the checkout in shopify are transferred to Klaviyo, but receive a double opt in mail from Klaviyo before they are added to the newsletter list. This is not legally required in Germany. They do not need to receive a double opt-in email.

For the footer it is all clear, that's how it should be, enter your e-mail and receive double opt in mail. But the checkout contacts do not need to receive this, as I can contact them without double opt-in. This is clearly regulated in Germany.

I would like to have both in one list, those from the checkout without double opt-in mail and those from the footer with double opt-in mail. 
Do I really have to create 2 lists for this?
How do I proceed now?

icon

Best answer by StefanUE 5 March 2024, 10:42

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

@Donniebrasc hey, thanks for a great question!

In general, opt-in settings are created on a list level, and there’s no way to select different settings based on different intake forms/embeds.

If you’d like to have this set up differently, you will unfortunately need to set up two lists. This doesn’t have to change anything about your flow strategy, though, as you can very easily set up a segment triggered flow, where the segment definitions are simply “is in SINGLE OPT IN LIST or in DOUBLE OPT IN LIST”, which will ensure the same flow hits both lists at the same time.

Hope this helped, happy to chat further!

Badge +1

Thank you very much for your answer.

I have now done this and created a list for which I have deactivated the double opt in. I have also deactivated double opt in in shopify. If I now enter an email address in the checkout, it is automatically added to the list in Klaviyo, even though I have not yet completed the purchase. That is not good. Do you know how I can change this?

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

@Donniebrasc Do you have a list where double opt in is live and do you know where that list is connected to? Right now it seems you don’t have double opt in turned on anywhere, whereas I suggested having two lists where one has it on, and the other one doesn’t.

I would keep the Shopify opt in settings on default as recommended by Shopify, unless you have a clear use case to change this.

Hope this helped!

Badge +1

I have now an own list for my footer newsletter. Here i have the embedded Klaviyo form. Opt in is active. everything fine.

Then I made a new list in klaviyo where shopify should sync in by default, so opt in in klaviyo is out for that list and shopify double opt in is also out, because if the customers accept marketing in the checkout, I can legally send them advertising without opting in. 

The only thing is, that they have to make the purchase. In my test, it is now enough if I enter the email in the checkout and check the box for accepted marketing so that it is transferred directly to the new list in Klaviyo. But it should only do this when the purchase is made.

I'm surprised that this doesn't seem to be a normal workflow at klaviyo. This is clearly regulated in Germany. Classic newsletter registration requires double opt-in. If the customer buys and thereby accepts, he does not need a double opt-in to contact him.

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

@Donniebrasc have you explored the Shopify privacy settings to disable the ability to track this on the Shopify side?

This may solve your issue.

Badge +1

In our shopify this does not exist. :(

We can not limit it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +57

@Donniebrasc - glad you were able to find a solution from @StefanUE excellent answer. Splitting into two different Lists so that you have different opt-in behavior was what I recommended doing as well. 

In general, I think Klaviyo lets you decide what you need to do or want to do with the way you manage your Lists and marketing consent since it can vary from region to region as well as what the merchant or brand wants to do.  Though it may be a bit confusing at first, I like the option to be able to do what is best for the merchant on a case by case basis.  

There are some cases where even though double opt-in is not required, it is still preferred to ensure a higher quality of audience and to combat bots and fake email signups.  Here’s a documentation on the topic that might help:

Best of luck and hope to see you here again in the community!

Badge +1

@Donniebrasc - glad you were able to find a solution from @StefanUE excellent answer. Splitting into two different Lists so that you have different opt-in behavior was what I recommended doing as well. 

In general, I think Klaviyo lets you decide what you need to do or want to do with the way you manage your Lists and marketing consent since it can vary from region to region as well as what the merchant or brand wants to do.  Though it may be a bit confusing at first, I like the option to be able to do what is best for the merchant on a case by case basis.  

There are some cases where even though double opt-in is not required, it is still preferred to ensure a higher quality of audience and to combat bots and fake email signups.  Here’s a documentation on the topic that might help:

Best of luck and hope to see you here again in the community!

Yes, great idea with the two lists. Problem is only that shopify transfers the people in the klaviyo list without double opt in, even if they did not finish the checkout. That is not legally correct. So right now, i don´t know how to find a workflow for that. I want them in the list, without double opt in, but after they purchased only. 

Hope you can help :)

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

I want to jump in here @Donniebrasc to clarify that even though double opt-in is not a legal requirement, it is an industry best practice for very good reasons that are ultimately in the best interest of your business. It’s true that opting in at checkout is consent. However, double opt-in ensures you’re only sending marketing communications to customers who actually want to hear from you, thus improving your engagement, conversions, and deliverability. Not to mention it nearly completely eliminates bot activity. 

Both Joe and Stefan have given you the best possible solutions here. But, my challenge to you is to reconsider the approach and take the path of least resistance of one list with double opt-in that, in the long run, will give you better results. 😉