Solved

How do I trigger a flow based on a shopify customer tag?

• 9 December 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

Hello,

I am trying to trigger a flow based on a customer shopify tag. 

Customers with this specific tag are not in a list or segment.

Is there a way I can do this or do I need to add the customers with that tag in a specific list or segment? If so, can someone please explain how I can do this?

Thank you

icon

Best answer by Bobi N. 10 December 2021, 09:41

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +42

@ameliap 

Create a segment with definition “Properties about someone” - Choose the property Shopify Tags - Choose the tag.

Now you will have a segment of people with that tag and you can create a flow that starts with this segment

Badge

Thank you - very helpful!

For this, if the segment “contains” the Shopify tag (for example: newsletter) but their personal shopify tags are say, newsletter, abandonedcart, nike - would they still get the email?

Like, because it contains the word newsletter, would they still get it if they are comma delimited? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @dannydesigner,

The reason the filter says 'contains' is because categories and collections are list properties, meaning that each event can contain a product from several tags or collections (like an array). So you're essentially saying, "in the list of tags for this item or order, [X category] is one of them".

We must also discuss the different data types that can be applied. First, text inputs could be a favorite color, shopping preferences, or an email address. The logic “contains” used with LIST type of data, element references the Items "List", not the item name. In that sense the List type must contain exactly the word you are looking for.

Usually how this works is if the data type is Text, then contains looks for the data you’ve typed in and adds wildcards to either side of the term you’ve entered --- in other words, what you typed in can exist anywhere in the dimension. However, if the data type if List, then contains looks at each record in the List and checks it against what you typed in. If it doesn’t match to data you typed in then it won’t consider it as a qualifying event.

The “Contains” means that the string you enter occurs anywhere. We also have a guide that talks about different data types as well!