Solved

Import contacts vs. duplicates records

• 10 March 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

I have a csv to import into my Master List. 

Obviously, I would like the Import to account for duplicate records and ignore them. 

As an attempt to test and verify this process, I EXPORTED a short list of 4 known names, then reIMPORTED them back to my Master List to ensure that they WOULD all be skipped. 

Instead, the import said that it LOADED all 4 records and 0 were skipped. 

However, the total record number in the Master List remained unchanged…. and none of the records I reimported seem duplicated. 

So now i’m not sure what to think. What’s going to happen when I import my longer .csv list? How are duplicates actually managed on Import?

icon

Best answer by Manny Singh 11 March 2022, 04:48

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

Hey @matt.steinruck, they wouldn’t show as skipped because they wouldn’t be duplicated within the file you imported. 

Here’s a quick example..

Scenario 1:

Import file

abc@gmail.com

Klaviyo

abc@gmail.com

Outcome: Nothing.  Subscriber is already in Klaviyo.  If the import had another column, say First Name, and that was different than the First Name in Klaviyo then it would overwrite it. 

Scenario 2:

Import file

abc@gmail.com

abc@gmail.com 

Klaviyo

abc@gmail.com

Outcome: The second abc@gmail.com in the Import file will be skipped. 

Badge +3

So, for the test that I tried - directly exporting 4 records, then re-importing them, wouldn’t they show as “skipped” since the data is 100% the same with no changes to those records?

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

Hi Matt, 

So, duplicates will show skipped in the import only if there’s duplicates within the file. 

If you’re importing a list that have emails already within Klaviyo, then those profiles will get updated with the import data (if there’s any changes). 

To be on the safe side, you can export your current list and then remove the duplicates in excel.  Here’s a help article with some more info:

https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005078807-How-to-Troubleshoot-List-Imports#duplicate-headings-or-required-values7