Solved

Need to create a tricky segment for one-time purchases who have 2 purchases...

• 24 May 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Okay this is sort of a weird one but here we go.

We currently have a segment that adds customers in who have placed one order over all time. These customers then get added to a flow where they get a series of emails.

Currently, due to some shipping issues we’re dealing with, if the item is over a certain weight, we have to create a draft order with a 100% discount to generate a shipping label for it. I won’t get into the details because it’s hard to explain, but basically this customer now shows as having ordered twice as that is what shopify is telling Klaviyo.

Basically, what I’d like to do is edit this segment so that it shows customers who have only ordered at most 2 products, where one of those orders is $0 OR customers who have ordered one product over all time where value of product is greater than $1.

I’m having a hard time figuring out exactly how to do this, so figured I’d ask here. Thanks so much in advance!

icon

Best answer by Spark Bridge Digital LLC 24 May 2021, 20:03

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +31

A bit of a head-scratcher without seeing how your Shopify data comes in and testing some segments but do you have both orders coming in as fulfilled to Klaviyo? If so you could go -

Placed Order is at most 2 over all time

AND

Fulfilled Order Value = 0 Over all time

OR

Fulfilled Order Value is greater than 1 over all time.

But you might not even need that!

If you just do ‘Placed Order is at most 2 over all time’ as your segment trigger for the flow and THEN put in a flow filter that of ‘not been in the flow at any time’. 
You should be left with a segment that will only allow first-time purchasers to enter and if the second-order comes, it won’t pull them out or re-qualify them for the flow.
But if it is a genuine 2nd order, that shouldn’t matter because the person can only enter the flow once (You may need some timing filters to weed out older first time orders though, like Placed Order 0 Times before [Flow Date Launched])

Hope that makes sense, happy to answer any additional questions!

Badge +2

I think the second option might be the best here for us! Both orders are coming through as fulfilled into Klaviyo, so Fulfilled Order Value is always going to be greater than 1.

A follow up question to the second part of your answer though - I’m having a hard time trying to find the flow filter to limit to “not been in the flow at any time.”

Any chance you could navigate me to that? TIA!

Userlevel 6
Badge +31

I think the second option might be the best here for us! Both orders are coming through as fulfilled into Klaviyo, so Fulfilled Order Value is always going to be greater than 1.

A follow up question to the second part of your answer though - I’m having a hard time trying to find the flow filter to limit to “not been in the flow at any time.”

Any chance you could navigate me to that? TIA!

Ah actually - that option is not going to be there for Segment Metrics! So a whole different third option could be changing your Trigger to ‘Placed Order’. And then apply your filters you would in your segment, into your flow filters and conditional splits.

In these Metric trigger flows, you can then add that ‘not been in flow’ filters via the Flow Filter in the Trigger. 

Playing with some test filter now and it might end up looking like this -

and you’d adjust the date to fit to help avoid those older 1st time orders who make their 2nd purchase from entering (Since they haven’t been in it before). I’d put it in Manual to test for a day but should allow only new orders to enter, and if second order triggers - they still stay in to finish the flow.

Badge +2

Thank you! This is extremely helpful.