Solved

Proving the use of Double Opt In

• 4 February 2024
  • 6 replies

Badge

Is there any way to prove that a customer has double opted in when subscribing to a newsletter? Is it possible to see it afterwards? Can you see when they did it? 

I would be grateful for answers, as I can't find a way to prove this myself, which seems illogical. 

As double opt in is made mandatory, I know that all subscribers to the newsletter have it, but I am particularly interested in how to prove this in case of problems afterwards. 

Can anyone advise me? I would be very thankful. 

icon

Best answer by kaila.lawrence 9 February 2024, 19:46

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi there,

In segments, try the following:

Is that what you’re looking for?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

You might be able to dig more information in Metrics > Subscribed to List (not sure though)

Badge

Well, the method with the segment is clear, but not legally proofing anything.

In metrics I haven´t found any information about this. 😌

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

Hey @Leon Iselin, can you tell me more about your use case for this information? Are you asking in case of a hypothetical dispute or an actual one at present? 

Badge

@kaila.lawrence 

hypothetical dispute. I just don´t understand why I can not clear see who of the customers have made the Double Opt In and when. Sure, I can see if the person is subscribed, but so far I know, the person is also subscribed if the company was not using that time double opt in, just a normal opt in. 🤔

Somehow I think I still don´t understand the whole process, even if I have been reading a lot about this, contacting Klaviyo Support many times and taking time to see how Double Opt In works. I have been working and using the Double Opt In for 1.5 years now, and we never had a problem. It´s just that if we would have a situation, where customer is saying that he never made a double opt in, then I would like to know how I can prove it 100% that he has made it. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

Okay, I gotcha now! So, unfortunately Klaviyo doesn’t provide any customer-facing logs of double opt-in confirmation. Their “subscribed” status is essentially proof of their double opt-in. In the event of an actual legal dispute, I suggest reaching out to the Support team for deeper investigation.

In the meantime, I can provide this feedback to the Product team to consider as a feature!

Have a wonderful weekend :)