Solved

Segments with "Contains" instead of Equals and other hardcoded limitations

• 20 June 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7
  • Active Contributor IV
  • 26 replies

There are a few of these hardcoded qualifiers in the segment builder.

I would love for it to be a selection box of equals, contains, starts with and other common options for filtering

Similarly, the ability to select multiple values in one section rather than adding multiple lines for each productname from a list.

I had a similar issue with Date based fields. I can choose if the date was between 5 and 10 days AGO but I cannot select a segment with a date field that is in THE NEXT 5 to 10 days. I can select a group that is within the next 10 days, but there isn’t even an option to add an exclusion to say “not to include” people who are within the next 5 days to get me the segment I was after.

I understand that these hardcoded limiters on the segment builders are not necessarily a quick fix, but is there maybe a way to build segments with raw SQL code to cover for these gaps in the system until the hardcoded limitations are expanded?

Thank you,
Don

icon

Best answer by David To 23 June 2023, 21:31

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @dgibbs,

Really appreciate you sharing this feedback on our segment conditions! I’ll certainly share these thoughts with our Product Team to explore further. I particularly appreciate the feedback on the date conditions and selecting multiple values.

When it comes to the equals or contains condition, this would actually depend on the data type of the property and value you’re writing the logic for. I briefly explained this in a similar Community post which I’ve included below:

I hope this clarifies some things,

David

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Thanks @David To, I am concerned that this was raised a year ago and “shared with the product team” but there does not seem to be any actual changes implemented into the segment builder tools.

I do understand that different data fields are set up differently, but I don’t understand why that should limit what segmenting options are available to us.

I’d like to select anyone whos order starts with “Offline” or anyone whos product contains the word “Bundle” to differentiate them from people who bought individual products - the naming conventions of our “Bundles” have fluctuated wildly over our companies history and are not always selectable from a drop down list as a new “Bundle” may be introduced tomorrow and I would need it to automatically be included in my segment.

I really don’t mean to be a bother, but if the segmenting power of Klaviyo is one of your selling points and there have been limitations and issues that have been pointed out to the product team over the years… this maybe should have gotten a bit more attention?

Or again, at the very least a SQL tool where we can free write our segments the same way we can HTML edit an email block. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @dgibbs,

Thanks for sharing that specific use case and the suggestion of an SQL tool as a workaround. I’ll add it to the notes shared with our product team. 

I’ll be sure to share any updates or news regarding enhancements to the segmentation functionality!

Thanks for being a part of the Klaviyo Community!

David

I think something is broken with segments (building) or never has worked as one would assume! :( - Angrily…..

Let’s build a simple segment based on Product Names or maybe Item Names.

We would want to use “contains” - because it’s safe to assume one would NOT have to select each and every product one by one.

Let’s Try ProductNames:

start with:   Placed Order > ProductNames > Contains = enter in part of the product name (same part that is in 30 different products).

Let’s use:   NES 

There’s  NES Single Pack, NES Double Pack, NES Triple Pack, NES Variety Pack, etc…

Contains =   NES

Plus Sign +   indicates = let’s add the keyword all products “contain”.

NO RESULTS.

+++

Let’s Try ItemNames:

try:  Placed Order > ItemNames > Contains = enter in part of the item name (same part that is in 30 different product item names).

Let’s use:   NES 

There’s  NES Single Pack, NES Double Pack, NES Triple Pack, NES Variety Pack, etc…

Contains =   NES

Plus Sign +   indicates = let’s add the keyword all item names “contain”.

NO RESULTS.

+++

Let’s Try and use something different:

Ordered Product > ProductName > ????  = EQUALS? 

But we have 30 different products with X in the ProductName.

Let’s use:   Equals   

and  maybe put it in quotes!  “NES”
Maybe an asterisk ?   NES *

NO RESULTS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @OG-GolfGUY,

When creating segments based on the “contains” logic, you would need to either input the exact phrasing or select the object from the dropdown menu. The “contains” logic does not accept partial matches as you’ve assumed. 

There’s been some past discussion on this, and @alex.hong has some great explanation for this sort of behavior in the Community post below:

David