Solved

Shopify Placed Order not syncing to Klaviyo

• 27 May 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

Hi!  I’m pretty new with Klaviyo - For product that I’m giving to product testers/influencers for free how do I write the order and NOT have an email sent to the customer, but have it create a profile in Klaviyo for follow up?

I’ve created draft orders and fulfilled them without an email address, thinking I’d add the email address in Klaviyo. But, the profile doesn't show a placed order or product associated with the profile.

I haven’t been able to find any info on manually updating profiles with data coming from an integration.

Thanks for helping!!!

icon

Best answer by David To 27 May 2021, 21:31

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @Erika,

For this specific case, I would suggest having your Draft Order and Fulfilled Orders associated with an email address. Since you are updating these existing events with an email address after they have occurred; this would not be reflected within Klaviyo. Changes and updates are not retroactive within Klaviyo and sync only at the time they occur. Klaviyo uses an email address as a unique ID to identify contacts/profiles who have taken certain actions; thus only events with an associated email address at the time of these events occurring from Shopify would be synced to Klaviyo. 

When creating a Draft Order without an email address and then fulfilling the order, Klaviyo would not recognize these events. Also keep in mind that since a “Draft Order” is not a status that is shared to Klaviyo, this would not record a Placed Order event until the order is marked as “completed”. Similarly, the order would not record a Fulfilled Order event until you have marked the order as “Fulfilled” within your Shopify backend as highlighted in the Reviewing Your Shopify Data article. 

To prevent these customers from receiving any automated flow emails as follow up to these orders from Klaviyo, I would suggest utilizing flow or trigger filters. So long as you’ve applied these filters to your flows triggered off of the Placed Order and Fulfilled Order events before manually initiating the order within your backend; these contacts would be excluded from these flow. You can use a flow filter such as “Properties about someone, Email doesn’t equal X” to exclude contacts from the particiular flow.

Thanks for sharing your question and being a member of the Klaviyo Community!

Have a great day!

David

Badge +2

Thank you so much for the information above.  It does help clarify the situation.  Can you help explain this situation?  In shopify, if I create a new draft order, add product, add a customer name only (no email) and mark it paid, and fulfill it, it becomes a regular order, but no email is sent from shopify with order details because there isn’t an email.  In Klaviyo, a new profile is created but no record of the purchase. Can you tell me why or how to have Klaviyo recognize the sale?

Thanks!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Erika,

As mentioned in my last comment, Klaviyo uses an email address as a unique ID to identify contacts/profiles who have taken certain actions; thus only events with an associated email address at the time of these events occurring from Shopify would be synced to Klaviyo. 

Because when you set up this draft order without an associated email address, Klaviyo would not be shared and synced this event after it has been marked as paid/completed and fulfilled. To have this order event shared and synced to Klaviyo, I would recommend including the email address when you create this draft order; which once completed would be synced to Klaviyo automatically as part of the integration sync. 

David