Solved

Whats the difference between accepts marketing and the Newsletter list?

• 15 January 2021
  • 21 replies

Badge +2

Hi there, 

I’ve been looking at lists on our account and noticed that our Newsletters list is 5k under the amount of customer we have on a list where the definition is just ‘accepts marketing’ can anyone say why this is? 

Also is there a way we can then add this extra 5k to our newsletter list?!

Thanks in advance,

Ali 

icon

Best answer by ksanfelipe 15 January 2021, 17:10

View original

21 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Hi @Alastairofecw !

“Accepts marketing” is a Shopify-specific property. If someone opts-in to email marketing in your Shopify store, you will notice that they have a property of “Accepts marketing = true.”

In your integration settings, you can choose to have users who accept marketing in Shopify get added to a list in Klaviyo:

As long as you have this setting checked off, then you can just use your Klaviyo lists as your source of truth for opt-ins. You won’t want to rely on this property because it is a Shopify property, which means subscribers you collect through a Klaviyo signup form will not have this property. 

Generally speaking, your subscriber lists in Klaviyo are the most accurate way to identify users who have given consent for email marketing!

Cheers,

Kalie

Badge +5

If i don’t click on Subscribe customers who Accept Marketing to a Klaviyo List in Shopify Integration, Will the contact still be inserted in the cart abandonment flow?

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi there @Vincenzo Cassese,

If a customer in your Shopify store had already accepted marketing, then they would be eligible for emails to be sent to them. The button within the integration setting just allows for you to automatically put these customers into a list if you wanted to target them for marketing related flows or similar content.

Badge +5

So if a first-time person goes to checkout without ticking email marketing and without buying, they won't enter the cart abandonment flow?

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @Vincenzo Cassese,

So that would depend actually. Did the customer submit the contact information page? So I’m pretty much asking did the customer enter their contact information and move onto the next step in the checkout process? If so, then they would still get checkout abandonment flow emails. If they did not submit the form as in did not move onto the next page/billing page then they would not receive the flow. It actually doesn't matter if the user ticked the accept marketing checkbox or not.

The Accepts Marketing option in Klaviyo is only related to providing opt-in to a list for our platform.

Thanks!
Alex

Badge +5

Ok thank you 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

My pleasure! 

Badge +2

Where exactly is the feature to subscribe customers who accept marketing to a Klaviyo list within the intergration settings? I only see this verbiage. 

Is this the same?

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @AshleyH,

What you are searching for is actually part of the Shopify/Klaviyo integration. It is in the initial integration settings page. 

Badge +3

Hi @alex.hong ,

I basically have the same issue, but the answers above did not really help me understanding it.

I integrated Shopify into Klaviyo. On the initial integration settings page, I chose to subscribe the Shopify customers who accept marketing into my main list. After the integration, however, I now have 700 contacts in my main list, but the “Accepts marketing” segment contains 2000 contacts.

What went wrong here? All I want is to have all contacts who accept marketing in Shopify being added to my Klaviyo main list automatically.

How can I achieve that?

Thanks a lot!

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @DRMax,

Not all profiles in your account will be in your list, as there will be people who are tracked or purchase who do not subscribe to receive marketing messages from you. However, automatic emails from flows like Abandoned Cart and Browse Abandonment can and will be sent to them, increasing revenue. You can read more here about how people get synced to your account here.

Additionally, it could be due to your segment’s definition ruling out some people by default so I would check that as well.

Thanks,

Alex

Badge +3

Hi @alex.hong ,

Thanks for your reply. I understand that not all profiles of my account get inserted into my main list, but I’m talking specifically about the profiles with marketing permission.

The “Accepts marketing” segment contains 2000 profiles (in Shopify I can confirm this number). After the sync, my main list, however, only contains 700 profiles.

So if I send out a newsletter right now, there are 1300 profiles that would not receive it even though I have their marketing permission. Is there any way to insert all profiles from the “Accepts marketing” segment into my main list?

This is basically the question of the original post .

Thanks,

Max

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @DRMax,

The discrepancy you are seeing in the amount of profiles in your Shopify account vs your main list is because of how customers can enter these lists. Since customers can still accept marketing without placing an order it wont sync to a list even if they had started started checkout. “Accepts Marketing” is a separate, Shopify-specific property that is added to a Klaviyo profile when a customer checks, or does not check, the Accepts Marketing box at checkout.

A short term solution to catch up your lists would be to create a segment with definitions, accepts marketing = true AND not on list then export that list and reimport to sync up your contacts. But the thing is with that solution, anyone who is added to the list will trigger any flows associated with that list.

You could fix this long term by creating a segment defined as is in list X OR accepts marketing = true.  

Note that shopify signup forms also adds people to lists so there can be a difference in numbers vs accepts marketing true.

Related posts:

Hope that helped,

Alex

Badge +3

Hi @alex.hong ,

okay, this basically means in the future, we will be sending our emails to the created segment, rather than the main list.

While this is a practical solution, to be honest, I still dont understand what lead to some of the profiles end up in the list, while others didnt get into it. They all are Shopify contacts, so they all should qualify by “Accepts Marketing”, the separate, Shopify-specific property. Or do only customers who checked out something get into the list, while the others are for example newsletter subscribers, who consented, but didnt buy anything?

Anyway, thank you for your support!

Badge +5

Hi, i have a few questions: 

I'd like to send emails to people who select a "send me your emails" checkbox, even if they don't complete an order and thus aren't subscribed to a list.

The problem is, i need a consent timestamp for GDPR, and if i'm not mistaken they only get a timestamp if they get added to a list, right? What should i do?

Also, how does this work in the Woocommerce checkout? Are contacts not added to a list if they don't complete a purchase, even if they check the box?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi there @Shiroyasha ,

For creating GDPR compliant forms to collect info on users, I would recommend taking a look at this article and then coming back if you had further questions.

Thanks,

Alex

Badge +5

Hi Alex, thank you for your reply!

The topic i was talking about is consent collection during the checkout process

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

@Shiroyasha,

Is it possible for your page to just have a form on the checkout page that customers can opt in to regardless of what they are doing with the checkout process?

Badge +5

@Shiroyasha,

Is it possible for your page to just have a form on the checkout page that customers can opt in to regardless of what they are doing with the checkout process?

Hi Alex, i don’t know if that is possible on Woocommerce, but on Shopify we just have the standard checkbox...

so, if a customer is in a Klaviyo list that came in from Shopify, and they have “accepts marketing = false”, they will still receive Klaviyo marketing emails?

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @tvg,

On December 14th, 2022, Klaviyo released an update changing the way email subscribers are synced from Shopify to Klaviyo. This sync previously relied on Shopify’s Accepts Marketing tag, but now, subscribers are synced via Shopify’s subscription model.

If you are looking to understand your Shopify subscribers synced before this release and more about the Accepts Marketing tag, I would suggest taking a look at our How to sync Shopify email subscribers to a Klaviyo list and Getting started with Shopify Help Center articles.

It’s also important to note that if you had subscribers synced prior to this update, you would have experienced that profiles whose accept marketing = false are not automatically suppressed. 

For this reason, it’s important to review these profiles carefully if they were synced prior to the update and either suppress them or not market to these profiles. 

As mentioned in the help center articles, there are two situations that can cause pre-existing customers to have accepts marketing set to false, but are still subscribers:

• If a customer checks out and decides not to accept email marketing at that time, but later subscribes through a Klaviyo sign-up form, they'll still be added to your newsletter list.
  • If a customer checks out and does accept email marketing, they'll be added to your newsletter list. If they check out again, they'll probably decide to not subscribe again since they're already subscribed. Depending on your checkout configuration, Shopify might see this as not accepting marketing (Accepts Marketing = false.) You probably don't want to treat this customer as an unsubscribe. Rather, you'll want to keep this customer on your newsletter list. 

David