Solved

SMS Consent via API not working for Australia

• 29 March 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

Hello,

We have a client in Australia whose Klaviyo account is approved for use with SMS. In addition, they already have a ton of customers listed in their account with SMS consent. 

We are passing users with Australian phone numbers to their account, but the SMS Consent is not showing up in Klaviyo for these users. 

We tested this with our USA customers, and SMS consent shows up just fine. We are making the same exact API call in both cases, but for this Australian customer it is not working. 

Array
(
[api_key] => pk_*****************
[profiles] => Array
(
[0] => Array
(
[first_name] => Jacob
[last_name] => Smith
[source] => viralsweep
[refer_link] =>
[source_name] =>
[email] => jacob@email.com
[$consent] => Array
(
[0] => email
)

[phone_number] => +610435879000
[sms_consent] => 1
[promotion_id] => 132003
[auto_login_link] =>
)

)

)

Is there some adjustment we need to make in our API call to get SMS consent to work for Australian phone numbers?

icon

Best answer by David To 30 March 2023, 17:01

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @viralsweep1,

Welcome to the Klaviyo community!

Assuming you’re using PHP, nothing in the code you’re using particularly stands out to me. 

Since it sounds like SMS consent is being collected with US numbers, this leads me to believe something may not be setup or setup correctly relating specifically to your Australian sending number. 

Even if SMS is setup for Australia and the UK, on small occasions, I’ve seen issues pertaining to how users have established their branded sender ID. 

I would suggest taking a look at our Understanding UK, Australian, and New Zealand SMS sending numbers for more information and also seeing if a long code may suit your needs better. 

I hope this helps!

David