Solved

Consent for sending emails in the US

• 19 October 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +3

I’ve a list of email addresses of different businesses, I obtained these emails from a friend of mine who works in the similar industry, am I eligible to send newsletters/emails to these businesses and individuals or do I need to consent from each business/individual to send them emails or newsletters in the USA.

Want to know the legal aspect over this, would be great if anyone could guide, thanks.

icon

Best answer by Ashley I. 19 October 2023, 15:46

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +34

Hi @USMarketer,

Welcome to the Community! 

I’d like to preface this by saying that I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice. I’d recommend consulting with your company’s legal team to know the full extent of what is and is not allowed in your geolocation. 

That being said, while it is technically possible to send emails to non-subscribers via Klaviyo, it is strongly discouraged as it does violates Klaviyo’s Acceptable Use Policy. This is because these users, whose private information you are acquiring from a third-party, have not explicitly consented to receive marketing material from your brand. Using a borrowed or purchased list is subject to termination of your Klaviyo account.

To learn more about list compliance, I would suggest reviewing the About Compliant Lists help article Klaviyo offers. 

You can also reference these helpful FAQ’s here:

--

Hope this helps!

-- Ashley Ismailovski

Badge +3

Hi @USMarketer,

Welcome to the Community! 

I’d like to preface this by saying that I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice. I’d recommend consulting with your company’s legal team to know the full extent of what is and is not allowed in your geolocation. 

That being said, while it is technically possible to send emails to non-subscribers via Klaviyo, it is strongly discouraged as it does violates Klaviyo’s Acceptable Use Policy. This is because these users, whose private information you are acquiring from a third-party, have not explicitly consented to receive marketing material from your brand. Using a borrowed or purchased list is subject to termination of your Klaviyo account.

To learn more about list compliance, I would suggest reviewing the About Compliant Lists help article Klaviyo offers. 

You can also reference these helpful FAQ’s here:

--

Hope this helps!

-- Ashley Ismailovski

Thank you, points taken into consideration.