Solved

Email Usage Limit and Plan Questions

• 21 July 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi there,

In the account settings, I see that we have more profiles than our current email plan. I don’t know how to interpret this “overage” in practical terms though. For instance, if I try to send a campaign to a segment with 1000 profiles, would those emails be sent without an issue? Or will only a portion of those be sent? Does the limit only apply to campaigns that need to go to more than 2500 profiles? I would appreciate if someone could explain, or point me to any documentation with details.

Thanks, -oo

icon

Best answer by david.to 22 July 2021, 21:11

Hello @Doubleo,

Your understanding there is correct. You can have more than the number of supported profiles/contacts within your Klaviyo account; however you would primarily be limited to your plan’s number of supported profile/contacts within your campaign sends. 

To add to the great details that @alex.hong already provided the use of “people” and ”profiles” are synonymous with each other and mean the same thing. Each contact/person you have in your Klaviyo account will have a “profile” within Klaviyo. This means that from the screenshot example provided, the $60 a month plan would limit you to a maximum of 2,500 recipients within a single campaign; even if you had 5,000 profiles within your Klaviyo account. I would also suggest taking a look at the Understanding Who Is in Your Account Help Center Article to further understand how profiles/contacts are accumulated within your account.

Also, when you attempt to send a campaign whose recipient count surpasses your plan limit, Klaviyo will actually prevent your campaign from sending and display a warning message during the final step of the campaign creation during the schedule/send section. Klaviyo’s warning message will indicate that you do not have a plan to sufficiently sent to these recipients and prompt you to upgrade your account to increase your plan’s threshold prior to sending.

I hope this helps!

David

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Doubleo 

Thanks for your question in the Community and I’d be happy to provide some insight!

Klaviyo charges based on active, email-able profiles. On your current plan you do not have any monthly sending limits, but your campaigns can only be sent to the maximum list size that matches your plan level, in this case 2500 emails. Since your plan is for 2500 active profiles, you can send up to 2500 profiles in one campaign send, but do not have any cap on total sends between flows and campaigns in any given billing cycle.

We will never make changes to your account so if you ever choose to upgrade or downgrade, you will need to do that manually. Instructions for that can be found here.

Additionally, here are some great Community posts with similar inquiries about email plans and sending!

Please let us know if you have any further questions about this!

Alex

Badge

@alex.hong thanks for the response and read the other posts. I think I get it, but it’s a bit confusing still. What you’re saying sounds like no matter how many profiles we have, as long as our campaigns are limited to what our plan is, we’ll be fine.

If I’m understanding you correctly in this table below, “people” refers to number of people you can email at a time, not profiles. Is that correct?

If that is correct why is “number of contacts” even mentioned then (see Klaviyo statement below). How does that play into the cost? Shouldn’t it just state the number of emails instead? Or “people” as in the table?
Klaviyo email plans are determined by the number of contacts in your account and the number of emails you send out each month.

Also, I still don’t understand what happens if you “try” to send to more emails than your plan. Let’s say you have a 2,500 emails limit. And schedule a campaign to go out to 4000 people. Does the campaign “freeze” after 2,500 emails are sent until you change your plan? Do we get a notification email? Do the emails get sent and we get a “warning”

Unfortunately I didn’t have time to wait for your response so I ended up upgrading our plan for no reason. And we just sent our first campaign. Bummer, since Klaviyo doesn’t offer any refunds.

Thanks again. Your follow-up will be greatly appreciated.

-oo

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hello @Doubleo,

Your understanding there is correct. You can have more than the number of supported profiles/contacts within your Klaviyo account; however you would primarily be limited to your plan’s number of supported profile/contacts within your campaign sends. 

To add to the great details that @alex.hong already provided the use of “people” and ”profiles” are synonymous with each other and mean the same thing. Each contact/person you have in your Klaviyo account will have a “profile” within Klaviyo. This means that from the screenshot example provided, the $60 a month plan would limit you to a maximum of 2,500 recipients within a single campaign; even if you had 5,000 profiles within your Klaviyo account. I would also suggest taking a look at the Understanding Who Is in Your Account Help Center Article to further understand how profiles/contacts are accumulated within your account.

Also, when you attempt to send a campaign whose recipient count surpasses your plan limit, Klaviyo will actually prevent your campaign from sending and display a warning message during the final step of the campaign creation during the schedule/send section. Klaviyo’s warning message will indicate that you do not have a plan to sufficiently sent to these recipients and prompt you to upgrade your account to increase your plan’s threshold prior to sending.

I hope this helps!

David