Solved

How do I migrate to the new Public API key?

• 15 March 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

I am a noob in any coding. I received an email that Public API is retiring, and I am using my Public API for my domain (crazydomains.com.au). Can somebody help me please. The email about API retirement is just so confusing for me who has no coding knowledge. 

What do I do???

icon

Best answer by DavidV 25 March 2024, 20:57

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi there @bbjuwe

Welcome to the Community! Happy to help clear some things up for you.

First, all levels of expertise are welcome here in our Community and everyone has to start somewhere!! 

Second, I believe you’re referencing our retirement of our V1/V2 API’s, mentioned in our developer group announcement below. 

I suggest you check out API migration resource page in our developer portal and take the first two steps to successfully transition to our new API’s!

1. Audit your current API usage in your account
  2. How to migrate from V1/2 to our new Klaviyo APIs

Finally, this additional Community thread might help you gain more insight shared by one of Champions!

Hope this helps!

-Taylor

Badge

Hi Taylor,

The articles you’ve provided are absolute information overload. Many people that use Klaviyo for their businesses (Myself included) won’t know how to interpret any of this information. Especially since all we’ve done is sign up for a Klaviyo account and just linked it to our Shopify businesses.

We understand that our public API key’s must be updated but none of the articles expicitily explain how to go about this. 

Unless you’re a seasoned coder you probably won’t understand this. Not to be a pessimist but It feels like Klaviyo has just dumped all this information on us in hopes we will give up and pay Klaviyo agent partners to do it for us instead - That isn’t very helpful at all.

TLDR: this should be simple and it’s not and that’s extremely frustrating.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi everyone, my team at Gatsby.ai recently migrated our Klaviyo integration to their new V3 APIs so I may be able to help. @curtispeers and @bbjuwe it sounds like if you’ve just created a Klaviyo account and are using out of the box features, you probably haven’t developed anything using their V1 or V2 APIs right, so I’m thinking you probably don’t need to take any action regarding the V3 APIs.

However, @bbjuwe you titled this post about migrating to a “new Public API key” - can you show a screenshot of the email you received / the one you’re referring to?

Thanks,

Brett

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

Hi @bbjuwe & @curtispeers,

Welcome to the Klaviyo community!

To clarify here you may be mixing up the new Branded Sender ID requirements with the API depreciation. Your domain would not be involved in this typically.

Basically Klaviyo has APIs available that allow external systems to integrate into Klaviyo and send data into your Klaviyo account (for example, a loyalty application might push in current point balances) as well as take data from your Klaviyo account (for example a BI tool might be taking data from your account to see how it is performing).

My recommended steps here to find out what’s going on are:

Go to this page inside your Klaviyo account to understand what integrations you currently have in place under the Private API keys area. An example would be my test account here. Hopefully these are named in a friendly way, if there are any.

If there is nothing here, you are all good, no action is required.

If you do have some applications here, the next step would be to go to this page and click the “Export API results” button at the bottom:

This will show you in a CSV file all of the API endpoints used in the last 2 weeks, and group them together by the amount of usage. 

In column B of the CSV file (Endpoint Path) you’ll get a list of endpoints like this:

/api/campaigns

/v1/lists

/v2/groups

If in this list you see any that have v1 or v2 in the name, this means it’s using the old APIs. You can find the culprit of this in column F (Key Label) and contact whichever API key / developer this is.

Next steps would be to contact them. When I ran through all of our clients the only integration out of all the big Shopify apps that wasn’t updated yet was Yotpo and I believe it is on their roadmap for completion prior to the shutoff.

I hope that provided some clarity! Let me know if you’ve got any questions.

Thanks
David