Solved

How to block a bot that uses a slightly different email address to sign up

Badge +2

There’s a bot that keeps subscribing to my emails and adding to cart.  How do I block it?

It always uses the same name, but the numbers in the email are slightly changed. 

One of the emails is fake52124@fakemail.com

How do I block it?

icon

Best answer by Tomb 29 May 2022, 16:15

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +15

Hello Vanni,

I hope you’re doing well ?

I’m not sure that we can “block” an email with Klaviyo. However, I would suggest you to create a segment with the condition “Properties about someone - Email contain fakemail”.

This segment will include all the bot email addresses and you’ll just have to suppress it regularly.

If you are looking to optimize your Klaviyo account, you can schedule a free consultation call on my calendar : https://calendly.com/standardecom/klaviyo

Cheers,

Tom

Badge +2

Thanks for the tip!  I also added the first name and last name.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +15

My pleasure 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +43

Hi @vanni,

If there's a uniqueness to all of these signups (i.e. always using @fakeemail) I'd add that to the segment. I'd then also add these (or 1 generic) rule to the flows so it won't trigger the flow for the people who sign up.

Using double opt-in might prevent these people from getting on the list but if you're using double opt-in I don't know if there's a way to filter these people out from not receiving confirmation emails. But double opt-in might also be a good preventative measure.

Regards,

Omar

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hey there @vanni,

Some other community members encountered the same issue in another thread and solutions can also be found there!

Hope this helped,

Alex

Badge +1

Hi @vanni,

If there's a uniqueness to all of these signups (i.e. always using @fakeemail) I'd add that to the segment. I'd then also add these (or 1 generic) rule to the flows so it won't trigger the flow for the people who sign up.

Using double opt-in might prevent these people from getting on the list but if you're using double opt-in I don't know if there's a way to filter these people out from not receiving confirmation emails. But double opt-in might also be a good preventative measure.

Regards,

Omar

Thank you for this reply! Adding that rule to the flows is a great idea I didn't think about! I'm also having the same issue and I set up a segment for the fakemails including the person's first name and last name which is always the same.

I will now add these rules to my flows as well!

Thank you so much Omar!