Solved

Matomo Analytics & UTM Parameters

• 23 August 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge +2

My site uses Matomo Analytics instead of Google - Matomo uses “MTM” instead of the normal “UTM” prefix in URLs.

I’m trying to add custom parameters in Klaviyo Account Settings, where I’d like to set the value for mtm_campaign to the Klaviyo Campaign Name, however it is not an option. All that is available is External ID, Klaviyo Profile ID, and Link or Alt Text.

Is there any workaround here?

icon

Best answer by David To 23 August 2022, 19:20

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @VinnieT,

I’ve never previously heard of or used Matomo Analytics, but it seems like they actually do have support for remapping the standard UTM fields to be understood through their system as they mentioned in their own Does Matomo support Google Analytics campaign parameters (utm_campaign, utm_medium, utm_source, utm_term)? documentation. 

Additionally, through Klaviyo, we do support custom UTM parameters which allow you to define the parameter and value you want. Just keep in mind that when doing so, the values will be static. This means that if you plan on using custom UTMs you’ll have more luck defining things like a campaign or flow names on the individual email level rather than on the account level. 

If none of these options work for you, nothing would be stopping you from using your own custom link with UTMs/MTMs built into them. This way, instead of allowing Klaviyo to tack on UTMs automatically to all links in your email, you’ll just simply be adding in your links manually with your desired UTMs/MTMs in place. 

I hope this helps!

David