Solved

My newsletter appears different on what I designed

• 17 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

My newsletter looks different from the design I created on mobile. Additionally, when I viewed it on my iPhone, it appeared different than it did on my Samsung. On my Samsung, I clicked on the "quoted text," and it opened the actual newsletter. Is there anything I can change in my settings to avoid these issues?

icon

Best answer by sonomaemail 17 April 2024, 20:25

View original

2 replies

Badge +3

It’s difficult to give very specific advice without seeing how your newsletter is set up, but I’ll tell you what I can.

First, your newsletter probably should look somewhat different on mobile vs. desktop. For example, it can be difficult to read information in a 2-column layout on a small screen, so it’s best to stack your content into a 1-column layout for mobile.

You can preview a general idea of how your newsletter will appear by switching between the Desktop and Mobile tabs at the top of the design.

I say general idea because your newsletter’s appearance on mobile will vary depending on a number of factors. This includes the device you’re using (iPhone vs. Samsung), the app you use to check email (Apple’s built-in Mail vs. the Gmail app), and settings like dark mode vs. light mode.

An experienced email developer using a tool like Litmus could help you limit the variations from device to device, if you have the time and the budget. If you don’t, it’s best to accept some amount of variation as normal and acceptable, and focus on making emails for the vast majority of users.

https://www.litmus.com/email-client-market-share

Apple and Gmail combined account for 87% of email client market share. Samsung Mail represents only 0.11%. If your email looks good and functions well on an iPhone and in Gmail, I would call that a win and move on.

Adrienne

Userlevel 5
Badge +21

Great answer @sonomaemail! I completely agree with considering the email client market share. You can see the performance of email clients in your own deliverability report for a campaign (click on a sent campaign, click “Deliverability” at the top of the screen, scroll to the bottom “Performance by email client).

We also use Litmus to test all our emails - it’s an excellent tool if you have budget for it!

Thanks
David