Skip to main content
Solved

Root domain vs sending domain

• 21 May 2024
  • 3 replies

Hello

I’m setting up Klaviyo for the first time and its asking for a root domain and a sending domain (subdomain). The domain for my shop is www.shop.niyaviidesign.com so what does the subdomain need to be?  Technically when I purchased my actual domain of www.niyaviidesign.com I had www.shop.niyaviidesign.com set as a subdomain. I’m not sure if this is what it is referring to. 

Also I searched but I didnt see any info on how to migrate subscribers from Flodesk to Klaviyo. How do I do that? 

thanks!

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

Hi @trishap612, great question! Let me simplify it for you. In your scenario, here’s what a Klaviyo setup would look like:

Root domain: shop.niyaviidesign.com

Branded sending domain: send.shop.niyaviidesign.com

DKIM domain: shop.niyaviidesign.com

DMARC: shop.niyaviidesign.com

Once you’re done with your technical setup, make sure you migrate your most engaged audience (in this case Flodesk) on to Klaviyo and warmup your domain to build a strong positive reputation.

Also, migrate all your blacklisted data (bounces, unsubs, spam compaints, etc.) and suppress them on Klaviyo to avoid sending them emails and damaging reputation.

Make your you monitor your reputation during this important phase (warmup) and adjust the volume gradually.

Quick question - I noticed you are also sending emails from niyaviidesign.com that’s going from Flodesk I believe, will you continue sending from Flodesk or planning to migrate everything on Klaviyo? 

Let me know if that makes sense or you need any further help, we can connect and I’ll guide you step by step.

Thanks,

Mohsin

Badge

Thank you so much for that. To be honest this technical side of things is going over my head so I definitely need a little more guidance to not mess up anything. I would sincerely appreciate some step by step help as I have many other questions to follow and it would be efficient if we can do it during a call or however you feel is best. Thank you! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

Sounds great! We can connect over a call if you are available. Let me DM you.