Solved

Setting up new free Klaviyo account - do we need to set up branded sending domain yet?

• 27 March 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hi everyone, I’m setting up a new Klaviyo account on the free level. Do I need to set up the branded sending domain at this point. We won’t classify as a bulk emailer for a while. 

I contacted Crazy Domains to help me with setting this up, and they asked if I want to change the name server to Klaviyo. I don’t know the answer to this!? If not, they said the following: 

Please ask Klaviyo what is the MX record or any records to use if the server is not with them. They will provide you another settings if you will tell them that the name server is us. After that, we can add the settings in your account with us.

Can anyone help?

icon

Best answer by Sujal 27 March 2024, 05:27

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Welcome to the Klaviyo community, @RC_email_marketing !

A branded sending domain isn't mandatory for free Klaviyo accounts. You can initially use Klaviyo's shared domain for sending emails.

However, setting up a branded domain offers benefits like:

• Increased email deliverability and sender reputation.
  • Improved brand recognition for recipients.

Here's a recommendation based on your situation:

• If you plan to send a high volume of emails in the future (even beyond the free tier), consider setting up a branded domain now. It's a relatively simple process and establishes a foundation for better email deliverability later on.

• If you're just starting and won't be sending a large volume of emails for a while, using Klaviyo's shared domain is perfectly acceptable for the free plan.

Regarding Name Servers and MX Records:

• Changing nameservers to Klaviyo is not necessary. You can use your current domain registrar (Crazy Domains) and manage DNS records there.

• MX Records: These records tell mail servers where to deliver your emails. You'll need to add specific MX records provided by Klaviyo to your domain's DNS settings at Crazy Domains.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hey @RC_email_marketing 

Just to add to my man @Sujal has said. No, you don’t need to change your nameservers to Klaviyo. You can keep your current domain registrar and manage your DNS records there.

When you do end up setting up a branded sending domain, you’ll need to add certain DNS records (like CNAME and TXT records) at your domain registrar to verify your domain and set up email authentication. But this doesn’t require changing your nameservers.

I hope this helps and feel to ask to get back to us with any more questions you might have any more questions.