Solved

Apple Mail Privacy Protection (MPP) affecting open rates

• 28 August 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi there!

We’ve been trying out different strategies to improve our click rates (on an average our click rates are at 0.6% for a Home & Gardens e-comm brand). Our open rates have been performing relatively well, on an average of 30%.

But recently, we created a segment to exclude Apple Mail Privacy Protection (MPP) opens and added this segment to our campaigns. Since then, our open rates have been declining really badly at 10% but our click rates have improved to an average of 0.8%. We have a sitewide sale coming along and we’re really worried that with this open rate, we’re unable to make the best of our database for the sitewide sale. What’s the best way improve our metrics and reach out to our database in the most effective way?

icon

Best answer by David To 28 August 2023, 20:48

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @L_Crystal,

Welcome to the Klaviyo Community!

In my experience, excluding Apple Mail Privacy Protection (MPP) opens wouldn’t actually negative impact your deliverability. Rather, excluding MPP opens will typically show you clearer picture of your overall account performance - since they’re no longer inflated.

If you haven’t had a chance to review yet, we actually have a really helpful article on identifying and mitigating decreasing open and click rates: Troubleshooting decreasing KPIs.

One of the main reasons you see a dip in open rates is typically due to not targeting the right audience. This is caused by not serving emails that are attractive to your recipients to keep them engaged. 

I would also suggest taking a look at other resources we offer on deliverability and improving performance such as our Understanding email deliverability and Getting started with email deliverability monitoring and performance metrics articles.

There’s also a number of past Community post on this topic such as the ones below:

I hope this helps!

David

Badge

Thanks for the suggestion and insight @David To !

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

Great suggestions by @David To though. However, I’d like to emphasize on 2 things, @L_Crystal:

1. If your open rates are dropping, then look at your targeting & segmentation strategy again and tighten email engagement criteria target your core engaged audience.
  2. Look closely at sender reputation and deliverability health of your domain/IP and identify the problems in your sending practices. Just FYI - @inboxingmaestro can help you identify those deliverability health problems (if any) and guide you how can you fix your low engagement and grow email performance.
    1. Happy to audit your email programs and help you fix the same. Hit me up and we can connect.

Regards,

Mohsin