Skip to main content
Solved

Apple Private Relay Emails Hard Bouncing

• 14 June 2024
  • 1 reply

I am using Klaviyo to store profiles of users signing up with my app. Many users use Sign In with Apple. Most of these users use private relay. These emails looks like [random id]@@privaterelay.appleid.com

All my emails to these profiles are hard bouncing and the profiles are being suppressed. I use protonmail for setting up emails with custom domains. Maybe thats part of the problem? The emails are also bouncing when I’ve tried sending emails to these emails manually through there. 

Is there any way to improve deliverability to these emails? I saw this thread on reddit and it seemed like it was possible, but there wasn’t a final solution proposed. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Klaviyo/comments/11eq6e3/emails_to_icloud_accounts_icloud_mac_me_bouncing/

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +30

Hi @ben123! Apple's Private Relay is designed to be as secure as possible, so attempting to email to one of those masked addresses will almost certainly result in a bounce. This is an Apple privacy/security matter that's beyond Klaviyo's control. Here's an article from Apple's Developer documentation regarding the feature:

Make sure you’ve got your branded sending domain set up and your SPF and DKIM records are properly configured. This should allow your outgoing email to be routed to the actual email address that's behind the Private Relay. Of course, this doesn't guarantee that they'll land in the inbox every time, so following deliverability best practices is still highly recommended.

Hope that helps :)