Solved

Deliverability and strategy plan for very small business, which was previously inactive.

• 15 May 2024
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hi there, 

I have a very small business (350 profiles) and have never really used email marketing. Most of these profiles are from when the business began (as we boomed and then.. pretty much flopped).

I used to send emails via Shopify, but in all honestly I haven’t sent an email since Black Friday 2023 and all of my emails with Shopify ended up in junk. 

I have transfered to Klaviyo to kickstart my email marketing, however I want to be REALLY cautious with my deliverability to build up a good reputation. 

I was thinking of using data from recently purchased (although I have few orders) to build a segment and then gradually increase this with time.

What would be the best strategy to go about doing this in your opinions? 

I have also set up a branded sending domain - will this be linked in anyway to my Shopify emails? Because I heard in a training session it is bad practice to go from sending few emails to 3 emails per week for example. 

What would be your recommended number of emails to start with?

If you were in my position, what would you do? I have a 2024 goal of having consistent email marketing and we are already half way through May… eek! 

Any ideas, plans, help, tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated - thank you. 

icon

Best answer by bluesnapper 15 May 2024, 17:49

View original

1 reply

Badge

Would you suggest doing a re-engagement campaign in Shopify with a clear CTA to  re-confirm their consent/subscription or would this impact my sending domain since it is now linked to Klaviyo? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +39

Welcome to the community @thezenhub 

It’s never too late to start 😀

Sorting out your branded sending domain is the perfect first step! 

I would also set up Google postmaster tools to monitor what G thinks of your sending domain. It will take time to get useful data, so worth doing that now. A good resource on that here: https://academy.klaviyo.com/use-google-postmaster-tools-to-monitor-your-spam-complaint-rate/1838637

Your Klaviyo branded sending domain is unrelated to transactional emails sent through Shopify.

Given your use case, I would focus on flows first to start getting engagement with your emails and so build your sender reputation.

• A welcome flow for new email list subscribers from a Klaviyo pop-up form that has an initial discount offer.
  • An abandoned cart flow. Include that initial discount if they’ve not yet redeemed it. You’ll need to switch off Shopify’s abandon cart emails if that’s enabled before you take your Klaviyo flow live
  • A post-purchase flow with a thank you from the business and brand values, cross-selling, up-selling ,or just some great relevant content!

My reasoning for getting these three flows running asap is that you will be building your list, driving sales, and your email engagement (opens/clicks) should be good as they are actively engaged with your brand = sender reputation.

Regarding campaigns, you currently have a small list with no/little email engagement data. So, I suggest you send a campaign to your most recent opt-in customers. Start with the past 30-days for the first campaign and then open that out in increments beyond that. I wouldn't go further than 3-months depending on your typical repeat order frequency.

In terms of moving ahead with campaigns, your content ultimately determines the frequency. A good place to start is a content calendar that combines promotions, competitions, and info-led content. 

Hope that helps. All off the top of my head and others on here may have some other ideas. 

Regards

Andy