Solved

Do I need to "Warm up" my email domain?

• 1 August 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

Recently read through the email warming up guide, but still uncertain on what I should do. I have a very new domain I purchased less than a month ago, and just got my google workspace setup yesterday for gmail. Am I clear to start having Klaviyo send out welcome emails for me through my domain, or should I wait? I definitely don’t want to damage my email strength (not sure exactly how it works). New business and will not have insane email volume.

icon

Best answer by David To 1 August 2023, 16:01

View original

3 replies

Badge

Still learning this whole process. Thank you for any input that you have!!

Matt

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @mattisrighteous,

Welcome to the Klaviyo and the Community!

So glad to hear you’re taking your sending reputation and domain health so seriously. Since it sounds like you have a “cold” (brand-new) domain that’s never sent emails, warming would be the right process. 

I recommend following the steps in our How to ramp and warm your sending infrastructure Help Center article to understand how to properly warm your domain. Warming can be broken down into 5-steps:

1. Migrate historic engagement data
  2. Create engaged segments for sending campaigns
  3. Send campaigns to engaged segments
  4. Turn on high engagement flow emails
  5. Monitor your performance

Overall, it wouldn’t be a concern to send emails from your domain. In fact, it’s recommended you do so to start building your reputation with inbox providers. But it is important to take a caution approach and start of slow. Because of this we always recommend sending campaigns to only your highly engaged subscribers for a period of time before slowly expanding into your 60, 90, 120, and 180 day engaged segments. 

Turning on highly engaged flows such as a welcome series is recommended. What better way to build your reputation that responding to an action someone on your website takes (subscribing to your website). 

I hope this helps! 

David

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

Good question @mattisrighteous . @David To has already answered it well in detail.

Definitely warmup is required to establish a good reputation provided you follow the strategic warmup process properly. 

However, a good domain strategy is the right starting point but warming up a completely brand new domain (recently bought) could be riskier and process may become lengthier. That’s why website’s subdomain is preferred and recommended.

Also, what’s the email volume you’re planning to achieve during a warmup phase and then ramp up phase?

Regards,

Mohsin