Solved

Email revenue per EMAIL vs per recepient

• 1 February 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hey Everyone, 

Im little confused by Klaviyo’s metric for Email revenue per recipient. The metric that pops up is the revenue divided by the number of emails sent… not number of recipients. I honestly don’t care about revenue per emails sent as much as I care about revenue divided by number of contacts. 

Why don’t they show, in the analytics the revenue per contact? It’s easy to figure out, but when I’m showing clients it’s much better to have the proof there in a screen shot. 

Or am I missing something here? 

icon

Best answer by David To 2 February 2023, 15:46

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @Paul do Campo,

Welcome to the Klaviyo Community!

I actually recently discussed this topic with another Community member in the thread below that I believe could help clarify your understanding of revenue per recipients:

Essentially, revenue per number of recipient versus revenue per number of emails sent are the same thing.

To give you an example, if you made $100 off of a campaign sent to 10 recipient, the revenue per recipient is $10. Similarly, if you $1,000 was brought in from a campaign that sent 100 emails, the revenue per recipient would once again be $10. 

I believe the key to understanding this is that an email is only sent once to every recipient in a campaign/message. Hence why there isn’t an actual distinction between revenue per number of recipient versus revenue per number of emails sent as they are the same.

I hope this helps!

David

Actually, there is a distinction worth making here and I share @Paul do Campo’s frustration.

“Revenue per recipient” is a misnomer. It’s actually “Revenue per receipt of email.” This distinction is indeed irrelevant if you’re looking at the performance of a single campaign, but if you’re aggregating revenue over a period of time with multiple campaigns and trying to assess your overall email performance, you often want to look at actual revenue per recipient (i.e. revenue per email in your entire contact list). Basically a simple aggregate revenue / # of contacts. It’s easy to calculate on your own, but I think that’s what people expect when they look at “revenue per recipient.” What is really meant by “revenue per recipient” in Klaviyo terminology is “revenue per email that landed in an inbox,” which is not the same thing when multiple campaigns are involved.