Flow Open Rates Drop 20% in 1 Month

• 14 March 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Our flow open rates dropped from 55% to 36% January to February.

Unsubscribe, spam and bounce rates are all rated good/excellent in the past couple of months, so reputation hasn’t been affected by an increase in these.

I have however been running multiple A/B tests on the core flows to try increase open rates (Welcome, Cart & Checkout Abandon, Browse Abandon, New & Repeat Customer). I’m wondering if running all these tests at the same time has had a negative impact on deliverability which has led to this huge drop in open rates?

It should be noted that campaign open rates remain healthy at around 50% while sending to a 30 day engaged audience of over 200,000 profiles, 2-3 times per week. So I’m confused how the deliverability of campaigns looks so good but flows have had this sudden fall.

Does anyone have any ideas in the sudden drop in flow open rates/ anyone seen something similar?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @Joe97,

Welcome to the Klaviyo Community!

Has there been any changes to your sending strategy and/or any changes made to our flow/flow emails? In my experience, a decrease in just flow open rates can typically be attributed to a change in your methodology. 

Other aspects that could impact just your flow open rates and not your campaigns would be if your flow emails were clipping. When emails are clipped, the tracking pixel placed at the bottom of the email is omitted. Because of this omission, customers could still be opening their emails but the open behavior wouldn’t be tracked as mentioned in our Why is my email being clipped? Help Center article.

If you haven’t already, I would also suggest reading through our Troubleshooting low flow open rates and Troubleshooting decreasing KPIs Help Center articles. 

I hope this helps!

David

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

My recommendation would be

1. Revisit the content: If the open rates have dropped suddenly, it might be worth revisiting the content of the emails to see if they are still relevant and engaging. Try testing different subject lines, preview text, and email content to see if this improves open rates.

2. Segment the audience: Consider segmenting the audience and sending more targeted emails based on their interests and behavior. This may lead to higher open rates and engagement.

3. Increase the frequency of email sends: If the campaign open rates remain healthy, consider increasing the frequency of email sends to the flow audience. This may encourage subscribers to engage more frequently and improve open rates.

4. Test different send times: Test different send times for the emails to the flow audience. Try sending emails at different times of the day or on different days of the week to see if this has an impact on open rates.

Badge +1

Hello @Joe97,

Welcome to the Klaviyo Community!

Has there been any changes to your sending strategy and/or any changes made to our flow/flow emails? In my experience, a decrease in just flow open rates can typically be attributed to a change in your methodology. 

Other aspects that could impact just your flow open rates and not your campaigns would be if your flow emails were clipping. When emails are clipped, the tracking pixel placed at the bottom of the email is omitted. Because of this omission, customers could still be opening their emails but the open behavior wouldn’t be tracked as mentioned in our Why is my email being clipped? Help Center article.

If you haven’t already, I would also suggest reading through our Troubleshooting low flow open rates and Troubleshooting decreasing KPIs Help Center articles. 

I hope this helps!

David

No changes to methodology apart from multiple split tests across the flows but I’m not sure if this is a big enough change to cause the drop? 

As for clipping, the content of the emails themselves hasn’t changed, and they have been performing great for the past couple of months. I’ll have a read through the links thanks

Badge +1

My recommendation would be

1. Revisit the content: If the open rates have dropped suddenly, it might be worth revisiting the content of the emails to see if they are still relevant and engaging. Try testing different subject lines, preview text, and email content to see if this improves open rates.

2. Segment the audience: Consider segmenting the audience and sending more targeted emails based on their interests and behavior. This may lead to higher open rates and engagement.

3. Increase the frequency of email sends: If the campaign open rates remain healthy, consider increasing the frequency of email sends to the flow audience. This may encourage subscribers to engage more frequently and improve open rates.

4. Test different send times: Test different send times for the emails to the flow audience. Try sending emails at different times of the day or on different days of the week to see if this has an impact on open rates.

The flows I’m talking about are the welcome and abandon cart/ checkout abandon flows, so they couldn’t be more relevant to the customer.