Solved

Fulfilled order metric higher than PLaced order......

• 2 August 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge +2

Hello everyone,

I'm seeking help with a puzzling issue regarding the order data. We are in the automotive industry, manufacturing car lights, and our return rate is relatively low. (This is the attributed revenue side of things)

In Klaviyo, we're seeing a significantly higher number of fulfilled orders ($64,000) than placed orders ($38,000). I'm aware that an order can have multiple fulfillments if it contains multiple items shipped at different times, but this discrepancy seems too large to be explained solely by that. 

Here are some factors:

1. Our product does not generally involve multiple shipments per order.
  2. Returns are relatively low, so it's unlikely that re-fulfillments are significantly inflating the count.
  3. I'm unsure if there might be an issue with how our eCommerce platform and Klaviyo are syncing data.

I've tried analyzing the order and fulfillment data but haven't identified a clear pattern or explanation for the discrepancy.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue or have insights into what might be going on here? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Greg

icon

Best answer by retention 2 August 2023, 09:50

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +57

Hi @Grego

A couple of ideas for you to consider:

• Do you Fulfill Orders outside of your online storefront? Common scenarios are internally created invoice orders, perhaps orders for wholesalers or other B2B customers, internal gifting or sending items for influencers/ambassadors, press/media, etc.
  • What’s your typical time delay between an order that’s placed, and when it’s marked as Fulfilled?  Assuming it is long, or can vary in time, then does the previous X days account for some of that difference?  For example if you only ship Monday-Friday (and hence mark order as Fulfilled on weekdays only), but orders can come in 7 days a week.  Or perhaps you had a bunch of orders that were fulfilled late due to inventory/logistics issues.
  • Finally, what is your attribution window timeframe?  Klaviyo Fulfilled Order events typically follow automated Flow messages (post purchase emails? shipping notification?) with high open/click rates so they get attributed to Klaviyo.  However, Placed Order events sometimes occur outside the attribution timeframe or occur from other traffic sources (organic, paid, etc) and not from email (or sms). 

Remember, you’re looking at data that’s attributed to Klaviyo, so a good handle of how Klaviyo marks conversion and attribution might be helpful to know.  Here’s a few explanation of how Klaviyo handles that here that might be heflpul to read:

Of course, there may be other reasons so hopefully others can chime in!