Solved

GA4 Source/medium discrepancy and UTM Param Set-up Confusion

• 12 June 2023
  • 25 replies

Badge +4
  • Active Contributor I
  • 10 replies

Hi,

I’d opened this topic on GA forum but hadn’t got any responses. First, I will share what I wrote on this topic.

We have an issue with the data coming from Klaviyo. I will try to demonstrate with some screenshots. I can assure you that all the UTMs on Klaviyo correctly working. We have some campaigns have been sent as well as automated flows sending regularly. Though I am able to review campaigns on GA, I cannot see the orders/revenue coming from flows. Plus, it shows the source as "Unassigned". When the revenue comes from Flows it was showing the source as "Direct". However, I resolved this since the problem based on the url ending with "/" slash. Now, this one is fixed but we just got an order from the flow but it shows source/medium as Klaviyo / campaing. It needs to be klaviyo / flow. Also, the rest of the problems still going on.  

And then I will explain what I go through currently. 

I’ve just changed the default UTM’s by referring to these 2 topics. You can see the default UTM settings on our account. Is that set up correctly or i need to change anything again? By the way it will be now applied to the all flows I already created? I just switched off the configure - Customize Tracking Parameters on the flows’ messages. I was wondering if I need to apply these to the all flow messages?

There is still discrepancies between GA and Klaviyo. We got 2 orders coming from Abandoned Card Flow - Checkout Triggered. Normally Klaviyo say it’s coming from Klaviyo when I checked them out. However, when I go over on GA it seems the purchases coming from Direct. 

I am really confused and need to figure this out which is really important for us in terms of reporting.

Can someone enlighten me pertaining to these issues we’ve been through?

Looking forward to your replies.

Best,

icon

Best answer by Akers Digital 20 June 2023, 21:36

View original

25 replies

Sorry, I don’t have the answer… but I’m following this topic. Thanks for posting. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @enes,

I’m not too familiar with GA4 yet, but this sounds like it may pertain to how your data is setup to be ingested in GA4. 

If you’ve made updates to your default UTM parameters, and your flow emails were previously using custom UTM parameters - which you’ve now disabled, those default UTM parameters would only apply going forward. If you want your flow emails to be using the account’s default UTM, you would need to go in and disable the custom UTM setting for all emails. Else, those emails would still be using the custom one you’ve set for them. 

We also have a network of highly knowledgeable Klaviyo Partners through our Partner Directory who may be able to offer more hands on assistance such as reviewing your GA4 setup. 

David

Badge +4

Hello @David To,

Thank you for your help and advise!

Yes, I’ve disabled the custom UTM params. I will see what’s going on with the GA4 side. When we get an order from flows/campaigns, I will let you know how the source/medium will be reflected in GA4. 

I was wondering if the default parameters I’ve set up are correct, you think? Please let me know if I need to revise anything. 

Best,

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @enes,

There’s really no right or wrong answer to how you should designate your UTM parameters. UTM parameter designations really are dependent on your own brand’s marketing strategy and preference to how they’re understood. 

In addition to those Community posts you’ve reviewed, you may also find our Understanding UTM tracking in Klaviyo and How to add UTM tracking to campaigns and flows Help Center articles helpful in demystifying UTMs as others have. 

David

Badge +4

Hi again,

I wanted to update the latest outcomes. Seems it didn’t work what I’ve done with the UTM params. There’s a problem on GA4 now. It doesn’t pull the data from Klaviyo anymore. There was an order from Klaviyo yesterday and the source seems empt. Also we sent a campaign and when I go over the traffic acquisition the source is empty as well. Please see the screenshot below. 

What should I do now? I think I need to change the UTM params again in order to fix the issue. Looking forward to hearing your solution.

Best,

Badge +4

Hi again,

Quick update:

I’ve checked Traffic Acquisition and Ecommerce Purchases and I think it started pulling data in GA4 as all the sessions seem correctly right now. Hope it will come through as it is. I am sharing with you the screenshots below.

First screenshot is from Traffic Acquisition and the 2nd one shows the source/medium, 3rd one shows session content like this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @enes,

Glad to hear it sounds like you may be back on track!

Would love to hear what steps you took so other Community members who are experiencing a similar behavior can find a solution. 

David

Userlevel 7
Badge +44

Hi @enes,

Tracking can be an issue indeed. Seems like you've set tracking the way it should be in your first screenshots. Do you have some sort of a cookiebar that might block or remove some of the tracking or redirects taking place removing the UTM parameters?

Besides that if you're on Shopify I might advise taking a look at Elevar and connect the GA serverside tracking connecter.

Lastly is Google is having an issue assigning the right channel you might want to play with your own channel settings to see if you can change the default behavior.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards,

Omar Lovert // Polaris Growth // Klaviyo Master Platinum Partner

We help with e-commerce growth through CRO, Klaviyo and CVO

Badge +4

Hey @David To,

After the first changes I’ve made in the UTM params screenshot, I haven’t changed anything. So, my UTMs are set up accordingly -credits to the topic that other people shared-. When I change the session dimensions I can review everything at will. However, there is still discrepancy ongoing that I’d mentioned in the first text. It shows some purchases as direct even though it comes from Klaviyo. I think it might refer to the following topic. Because everything seems correctly at the moment.

Comparing Klaviyo conversion tracking and Google Analytics

Because Google Analytics uses link clicks to track conversions and Klaviyo uses data directly from your database (e.g., ecommerce store), it's likely the analytics between both services won't exactly align. In general, Klaviyo’s conversion tracking is more accurate than Google Analytics.

For example, Google Analytics will not record a conversion if a subscriber receives an email, reads it, does not click on a link, but goes to your store. Or in another scenario, a customer receives an SMS message, opens it, but then eventually makes the purchase from their desktop; Google Analytics will not record this conversion either. However, in both scenarios, Klaviyo recognizes these conversions and stitches them together. In the first example, Klaviyo recognizes that a subscriber first opened the email, and in the second example, recognizes that the SMS message triggered a purchase. Just keep in mind that Klaviyo will only recognize these within the message attribution windows.

Because of this fundamental difference, we recommend deferring to Klaviyo's conversion analytics when possible.

Hi @Omar,

Yes, I’ve set up tracking the way in the first screenshot. I don’t believe that this has got to do with either cookiebar or redirect.

Yes, we are on Shopify but the set up had already been made even before me joined to the team. However, I appreciate that your suggestion and I took a look at Elevar and went through it. I found this fruitful. But as I said, it seems too late of it for us. What could we do even if we get this app by the way?

Lastly is Google is having an issue assigning the right channel you might want to play with your own channel settings to see if you can change the default behavior.

Could you please elaborate what you meant above? 

Thanks,

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Hey everyone,

A few things I am seeing here. On the GA4 side, Google will put sessions into the default channel groupings based on the medium. My guess is that Google doesn’t know what the medium of “campaign” or “flow” is which is why it’s being included in the unassigned channel. 

You have two choices here:

1. Change your UTM parameters in Klaviyo so that medium equals “email”. Then add additional UTM’s to separate campaigns vs flows.
  2. You can go into your default channel groupings within GA4 and add mediums of “flow” and “campaign” to the email channel. This way GA4 will pull those mediums into the correct channel.

In terms of discrepancies between Klaviyo and GA4, this is going to happen. Google Analytics traditional used a Last Non-direct Click attribution. Meaning the last non-Direct click received the credit for the conversion. If someone opened and email, clicked on it, then an hour later Google’ed your website and purchased, organic search would get the credit. GA4 now has the ability to select your own default attribution model as well. 

Klaviyo looks at thing a little differently, giving credit to people who clicked or opened an email, then later purchased, no matter what the source of the final session was. 

Does this help at all?

Badge +4

Hi @Akers Digital,

Thank you for detailed explanation! It helps a lot :)

I have 2 questions though:

You can go into your default channel groupings within GA4 and add mediums of “flow” and “campaign” to the email channel. This way GA4 will pull those mediums into the correct channel.

1. How can we add this?

GA4 now has the ability to select your own default attribution model as well.

1. How can we select the attribution?
Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Hey @enes ,

Here are the help docs from Google on how to do custom channel groupings:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/13051316?hl=en#zippy=%2Cin-this-article

And one on editing attribution settings:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/10597962?hl=en#zippy=%2Cin-this-article

Badge +3

Hey everyone,

A few things I am seeing here. On the GA4 side, Google will put sessions into the default channel groupings based on the medium. My guess is that Google doesn’t know what the medium of “campaign” or “flow” is which is why it’s being included in the unassigned channel. 

You have two choices here:

1. Change your UTM parameters in Klaviyo so that medium equals “email”. Then add additional UTM’s to separate campaigns vs flows.
  2. You can go into your default channel groupings within GA4 and add mediums of “flow” and “campaign” to the email channel. This way GA4 will pull those mediums into the correct channel.

In terms of discrepancies between Klaviyo and GA4, this is going to happen. Google Analytics traditional used a Last Non-direct Click attribution. Meaning the last non-Direct click received the credit for the conversion. If someone opened and email, clicked on it, then an hour later Google’ed your website and purchased, organic search would get the credit. GA4 now has the ability to select your own default attribution model as well. 

Klaviyo looks at thing a little differently, giving credit to people who clicked or opened an email, then later purchased, no matter what the source of the final session was. 

Does this help at all?

Hi there

If I go for option 2 with and the new channel groupings in GA4 - do I then go back in to UTM settings in Klaviyo and change medium to campaign and flow instead of email for each?

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Yep, you got it @CC_ArdMoor !  You would want to match the mediums in Klaviyo with your channel groupings that you setup in GA4.

Badge +3

Yep, you got it @CC_ArdMoor !  You would want to match the mediums in Klaviyo with your channel groupings that you setup in GA4.

I’ve done this and left it running for 3 days and none of the flow data is pulling through in my custom channel grouping either.  Any other suggestions?  I contacted Klaviyo for some advice but they said that as GA4 is new they are still working on the best way for working with GA4

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

@CC_ArdMoor any chance you can send over screenshots of our UTM parameter settings you are using in Klaviyo? 

Badge +4

Hi @Akers Digital , @CC_ArdMoor ,

I am sharing the screenshot of my UTM parameter settings and how it reflects in GA4 in the below for your reference.

Badge +3

Good news - Klaviyo flow now shows on Source/medium which is great.  However when I do the + and add session campaign, I can’t see which flows have created the traffic.  But it does work for the campaigns.  Is there any way to break down this data to see which Klaviyo flows have generated sessions/conversions.

Also - I wonder if part of my issue with not seeing data is due to thresholding?  Am I right in thinking if a certain channel generates less than 50 sessions that GA4 estimates where it should be attributed?  

Badge +3

Sorry another question - by changing source to Klaviyo - what would it be displayed under within a default channel group - as it would no longer be email would it?

Badge +3

Hi @Akers Digital , @CC_ArdMoor ,

I am sharing the screenshot of my UTM parameter settings and how it reflects in GA4 in the below for your reference.

Thanks for sharing this set up.   for the flows - are you able to break it down further to see which flows are creating traffic/revenue.  I get my flow data showing - however can’t tell which flows - and I’ll like to be able to breakdown abandoned cart, basket abandonment etc?  

Badge +1

I am also experiencing similar issues. Thanks @CC_ArdMoor  for sharing a screenshot of your UTM parameter settings. I’ve mimic these. 

Are you able to share a screenshot of your channel group settings? I am a little confused. I thought @Akers Digital had mentioned to set the channel settings “medium” to = “email” like the below

however now that my utm parameter settings in Klaviyo has medium set to campaign or flow I am confused!

Thanks 

Did anyone get a response regarding how to see which flow message generated the revenue as I am also having a big issue with this at the moment?

My utm_medium is set to email and everything pulls into GA4 correctly except for the session campaign of flows. Actual email campaigns are fine and I can see which of my weekly campaigns is pulling through correctly, but my flow emails are not.

Badge +1

@BMBecky I fixed the issue by creating a new channel group in GA4

Badge +3

My issue turned out to be thresholding - as anything less than 50 sessions gets estimated by GA4.  This article helped me  https://www.analyticsmania.com/post/thresholding-applied-in-google-analytics-4-do-this/

Badge +3

I am also experiencing similar issues. Thanks @CC_ArdMoor  for sharing a screenshot of your UTM parameter settings. I’ve mimic these. 

Are you able to share a screenshot of your channel group settings? I am a little confused. I thought @Akers Digital had mentioned to set the channel settings “medium” to = “email” like the below

however now that my utm parameter settings in Klaviyo has medium set to campaign or flow I am confused!

Thanks 

Hi Gemma

I’ve changed my medium to email too - as when I had it set as Klaviyo I had a large segment of unnasigned in my default channel group.   Has creating a new channel group worked for you - I didn’t get it to work for me?