Solved

Having trouble setting up SSL for Dedicated Click Tracking

• 11 July 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge

We went through the process of installing CNAME records for purposes of Dedicated Click Tracking, and everything worked in setting up a dedicated subdomain for our links. Then, we encountered some issues with the SSL piece, to make that subdomain secure. Our DNS provider (Namecheap) said they’re unable to help because Klaviyo’s instructions to set up a Dedicated Click Tracking subdomain guide you to direct that subdomain to “Sendgrid” -- because of that, they claim they’re unable to install an SSL certificate, and we’d have to take it up with Sendgrid… But that seems wrong.

I see a lot of other posts from people struggling with the SSL component of Dedicated Click Tracking.  Is there anyone who’s had success in setting this up, and can provide any guidance / tips here?

For reference, our site is on Shopify (so our main .com domain has its SSL certificate automatically, by way of being linked to Shopify), and our DNS provider is Namecheap.

icon

Best answer by David To 11 July 2023, 17:10

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @scout,

Welcome to the Klaviyo Community!

Although Klaviyo does use Sendgrid as our host provider, this oftentimes wouldn’t prevent a DNS provider from applying an SSL certificate. 

For example, in our How to set up SSL for dedicated click tracking Help Center article, we offer guidance on how to set up and apply SSL if you were using either Cloudflare, Cloudfront, or Fastly as your DNS provider. These are also not your only options. I’ve personally seen other members using GoDaddy, Bluehost, Shopify, BigCommerce, and many others successfully apply SSL for use with a dedicated click tracking. 

This would be something you’ll want to work alongside your own DNS provider to resolve and setup. 

I hope this helps!

David

Badge

@David To , we have now been told by Klaviyo support: “I have done some digging this afternoon and can confirm that it's not possible with either of these systems.”  (as in, it is not possible to establish SSL for dedicated click tracking in Klaviyo if we’re using Namecheap for our DNS provider)   Does that seem right to you? Or, based on your experience seeing members use other DNS providers, might you be able to take a look at our setup?

Hello @scout,

Although Klaviyo does use Sendgrid as our host provider, this shouldn’t prevent a DNS provider from applying an SSL certificate. 

For example, in our How to set up SSL for dedicated click tracking Help Center article, we offer guidance on how to set up and apply SSL if you were using either Cloudflare, Cloudfront, or Fastly as your DNS provider. These are also not your only options. I’ve personally seen other members using GoDaddy, Bluehost, Shopify, BigCommerce, and many others successfully apply SSL for use with a dedicated click tracking. 

This would be something you’ll want to work alongside your own DNS provider to resolve and setup. 

I hope this helps!

David

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @scout,

Glad you heard back from one of our colleagues on the deliverability team!

Although I can’t speak for all DNS providers, this sounds like it might be a limitation specific to your DNS provider (Namecheap) unable to support Sendgrid. 

I’ve only come across a small number of DNS providers that have these small nuances. 

If you want someone to take a closer look at your setup and offer some hand-on assistance, I would advise reaching out to some of our Klaviyo Partners through our Partner Directory page. Our wide network of extremely knowledgeable Partners have helped others in the past. 

David

Hello @scout,

Although Klaviyo does use Sendgrid as our host provider, this oftentimes wouldn’t prevent a DNS provider from applying an SSL certificate. 

I hope this helps!

David

Hi David, Can you please share instructions on how to setup SSL for dedicated click tracking and Shopify? The majority of Klaviyo customers are using Shopify and these instructions should be public for everyone. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @Dano2!

I see you asked a similar question in another thread here, so I’ll link to that for the sake of organization and visibility:

Best,
Brian

Hello guys,

Did you found a solution to solve this issue? Because we are in the similar situation. We use GoDaddy as our domain registrar we cannot set the SSL on our click tracking subdomain.

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

Hey @Domas G! I see you’ve posted a couple times looking for help in similar threads. The response is still the same from our end; we have some great step-by-step guides you should reference. However, if you’re stuck updating your domain you’ll need to contact your DNS provider (in your case, GoDaddy.)