Solved

How can I understand if my Gmail database is viewing their emails on Gmail or iOS mail app?

• 4 July 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge

How can I view insights on which mobile app my gmail subscribers are using to view my emails? 

I want to understand the split between my subscribers with a gmail account viewing my emails on mobile through either:

• Apple iOS basic mail app
  • Gmail app
  • in browser 

This will help me optimise my emails for the right view - as the Gmail app view can be notoriously challenging to get right. 

icon

Best answer by David To 5 July 2023, 16:17

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @HannahBud,

Great question!

You can get more insights into what platform your subscribers are viewing your email from through segmentation. 

When segmenting using the Opened Email metric, you’ll be able to use additional filters to help identify if users opened an email based on: 

• Client name
  • Client OS
  • Client OS family
  • Client type

I would also just keep in mind that some users aren’t restricted to only viewing an email through one method. Myself included, I’ve oftentimes viewed an email on my laptop browser, but decide to review the email again at a later time through an app on my phone. 

I hope this helps!

David

Badge

Thanks @David To! That is helpful to understand there is a way to do this in the system. 

However, I am new to Klaviyo and am actually not sure how I can access the ‘Open Email’ metric as you’ve mention above to filter through. Are you able to share where this information is in Klaviyo? 

The older system I was using was much more simple to pull this information with a funnel style report showing % per email: 

1. Mobile v Desktop
  2. (Mobile Drill-down) Mobile App Opened

Thank you!!   

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @HannahBud,

Checkout the segment example below:

Similar to your previous system, you can review the percentage of emails opened via desktop and mobile or by app under the deliverability tab of each email. You can learn more about this section of your email analytics from our Understanding the deliverability tab in campaigns and flows Help Center article. 

Additionally, you could also run a custom metric report based on that same segment definition for further analysis. 

David

Hi @David To I have the same question as @HannahBud above, but when I go to create a segment of subscribers based on “Client Canonical” or “Client Name” I don’t see any options for Gmail. Any insight here?

Thanks!
Adam

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

Hey @adamiacovelli! Do you see other options and just not Gmail, or nothing at all? 

Badge +2

We’ve run into this a bit as well. It is notoriously hard to detect what client an email is opened one. Parcel.io has the best analytics that I am aware as far as actually telling you what client the email was opened on (especially if the email was opened multiple times on different devices).

I know Zaymo also tracks this kind of stuff because they embed interactive widgets into emails that work in Gmail and Apple but not other clients.

Hey @adamiacovelli! Do you see other options and just not Gmail, or nothing at all? 

Hi @kaila.lawrence yes all dropdown options are in the attached images. The only mention of Gmail is in something called “Gmail image proxy” 

Thanks,

Adam

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

Alrighty @adamiacovelli! I actually had more of a think about this and I want to reframe your ask. Is your ultimate goal to understand which of your Gmail subscribers are actually opening messages versus those that may be Apple’s Mail Privacy Protection (MPP) opens? 

If yes, then there’s a different solution I’d suggest. With these following segment conditions, you’ll be able to parse out Gmail users on Apple devices who definitely opened your emails.

Since with MPP on we can’t really be sure if someone actually opened your email or not, adding a click condition definitely helps because in order to click, they have to open! If you swap Apple Privacy Open to true plus add the click condition, that will then generate a segment of subscribers on Apple devices who also definitely opened your email. It will be smaller but more accurate than going by MPP open alone.

Let me know if this is helpful!