Skip to main content
Solved

How to deal with bots

• 1 July 2024
  • 3 replies

Hello, 

I’m seeing a flurry of bots creating profiles. What I’m struggling to understand is that the list they are subscribing to has double opt-in active but when looking on these bots profiles they are still bouncing and subscribing. 

My bounce rate for the welcome series is 8.77% in the last 30 days and 325 recipients are bouncing. 

Can anyone help me with this?

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +30

Hey @george12345245135124! Ouch, I know this kind of activity can be super frustrating. You’re doing the right thing by having double opt in enabled.

We should be clear on the difference between deliverability issues, addresses bouncing, and bot profiles. A bounce indicates either a temporary or permanent delivery issue to an email address. While not impossible, it’s unlikely a bot profile is using an invalid email address that would bounce. I know it’s a silly question, but are you absolutely 100% sure your list is set to double opt in? 

If yes, I’d like to dig in more here.

• Are you seeing high bounce rates and deliverability issues with other campaigns and flows, or just the welcome flow?
  • How long have you been using Klaviyo?
  • Are you using a branded sending domain or a general domain like @gmail? When did you purchase your domain?
  • If you’re using a branded sending domain, did you configure your DMARC records?

Let’s start there!

Badge +2

Hey Katie, 

• Are you seeing high bounce rates and deliverability issues with other campaigns and flows, or just the welcome flow?

I am just seeing high numbers on my welcome series.

• How long have you been using Klaviyo?

We went live on Klaviyo in early March of this year. 

• Are you using a branded sending domain or a general domain like @gmail? When did you purchase your domain?

I am using a branded domain and I can’t answer that but I’d image over 5+ years

• If you’re using a branded sending domain, did you configure your DMARC records?

We have set up DMARC records. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +30

Okay this is all great! Let’s dig in more to the bounce rate for this flow. Is there a particular inbox that bouncing a lot, such as @outlook.com?