Solved

Identify email subscriber & calculate historic CLV

• 28 February 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi Klaviyo Team,

Before I start my question, here are the things that might help me explaining and klaviyo team answering the question.

We are using optimonk for lead capturing.

Our main sources of traffic to our store is Organic, via facebook ads, Google ads, advertorial.

My question is -

• I need to understand email subscribers, by source of acquisition? Are we getting mainly from paid ads? or social organic, or Google organic?
  • how much each subscriber spend on average in their first transaction, and how much. they spend over lifetime. (do you guys suggest exporting our newsletter list and accept marketing list which will give me their LTV?

This data is important for us as we want to start with lead capturing campaigns and would want to know how much we should spend on acquisition. 

While finding the answer to above questions

I was looking at Analytics and to identify the source of email subscriber acquisition, I have clicked on Analytics and advanced filers. Attaching the screenshot below. Is this the correct way to identify the source? If so, how can I check how much these subscribers spent on first purchase and their lifetime value?

I am sorry my post seems very long, but really looking for someone to assist me in finding the numbers.

I would be grateful for prompt response.

Thank you so much for reading it.

Sunny

icon

Best answer by Dov 28 February 2022, 20:29

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @Sunny,

Thank you for sharing this question with our community.

Initial Source tracks how a profile navigated to your website. This shows you the initial point of acquisition when a person first comes into contact with your brand. This will tell you whether the acquisition source was direct, referral or organic. For more information on the information section of the profile, see our article here.

In terms of tracking this property in Klaviyo, the easiest way to grab these users is to create a segment using Initial Source. That would look like the following:

You can create separate segments for each acquisition source or connect multiple acquisition sources using an “OR” separator between criteria in the segment. For more on “AND” vs “OR”, I recommend seeing our guide here.

In terms of calculating average spend per customer, I'd start by creating a segment of the users you would to include. 

Once you've built the segment you want to view CLV for, you can export the segment to .csv file and select "Historic Customer Lifetime Value" as a field for export.

Please note that you will only be able to see Predictive Analytics (which includes historical lifetime value) if you meet the following conditions:

• At least 500 customers have placed an order.
    This does not refer to Active Profiles, but rather the number of people who have actually made an order with your business. If this section is on a profile but is blank, this means we don't have enough data on that individual to make a prediction.
  • You have an ecommerce integration (e.g., Shopify, BigCommerce, Magento) or use our API to send placed orders.
  • You have at least 180 days of order history and have orders within the last 30 days.
  • You have at least some customers who have placed 3 or more orders.

Assuming you meet all of these conditions, you can then view all of the historic CLV values for these customers in the export and just take the average of that spreadsheet column. 

Historic CLV refers to a person's spend-to-date. There’s also an option to export the CLV field in Klaviyo which refers to the sum of someone's historic CLV + their predicted spend in the next 12 months. If you are also interested in that average, you can export total CLV as well.

In terms of the analytics dashboard, that’s not a bad way to get an overview of the users by acquisition source, however, it won’t yield the discrete emails (like the segment will do) which may be helpful for you.

In terms of the average first order value, you can create a segment “what somebody has done > placed order > equals 1” over all time and export them. Again, selecting the Historic CLV in the export, that segment will yield all of the users who have made just one purchase and you can take the average value from the spreadsheet. I’m afraid we don’t have a better way to isolate just first time purchasers value if they’ve purchased multiple times but this will capture all single time purchasers.

I hope that is helpful.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Thank you DD for detailed explanation. This is super helpful