Solved

Klaviyo and bigcommerce sending domain setuo

• 8 February 2024
  • 15 replies

Badge +2

Is there any documentation on how to set this up correctly? 
There is no clear description from klaviyo on how to do this. 
I have followed the steps but thier is a lack of information. 

I am on the fence about leaving Klaviyo anyway. so if I can’t get the help I will just switch. 

I think its ridiculous that this is a requirement and there is no information on it. 

icon

Best answer by kaila.lawrence 12 February 2024, 20:56

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

Hey @Kyle_! We have tons of information on setting up a branded sending domain. Which part exactly are you stuck on so I can help you out? Screenshots are super helpful!

In the meantime, here are great resources I recommend on branded sending domains:

I’m with ya, Kyle.

Sticking point now is that my domain registrar won’t let me add an NS record unless the nameserver is pointed at them.  It’s not, it’s pointed at Bigcommerce.  Bigcommerce doesn’t even have an option to add an NS record.

Badge +4

I am having the same issues. Klaviyo support suggested using static rather than dynamic.

So, I went that route and used “add another” to add the CNAME and TXT records info in BigCommerce (in the web hosting section under email and DNS in settings in BC).

However, BigCommerce just keeps saying “loading...” and never adds these records (so they are never show active on mxtoolbox or whatsmydns).

BigCommerce support says to reach out to Klaviyo, Klaviyo says to reach out to BigCommerce. Just going around in circles for a few days nows. It really shouldn’t be this difficult. This is just generating some records, copy paste, save and verify. 

Would be nice if Klaviyo would let us know what to do when we’re stuck in this case with BigCommerce.

Badge +2

Klaviyo is an absolute mess when it comes to helping with this.
Their is not a tutorial on this. 
Klaviyo straight up dropped the ball on giving bigcommerce users actual help. 
Its crazy to think that they put all this pressure for us to adjust but then did nothing to make sure we are successful.

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

Hey all, I’m really bummed to hear about this. I do know the Static routing option switch works in this same case for Shopify since they don’t accept NS records, either. 

@tommydearest @primarytrainer @Kyle_ Are you all still struggling with getting your domains connected? If yes, let me know and I’ll work on escalating this internally.

Badge +4

Hey all, I’m really bummed to hear about this. I do know the Static routing option switch works in this same case for Shopify since they don’t accept NS records, either. 

@tommydearest @primarytrainer @Kyle_ Are you all still struggling with getting your domains connected? If yes, let me know and I’ll work on escalating this internally.

Hi Kaila,

I am still having this issue this morning. I have been trying to get support from BigCommerce, but they are not being helpful and in fact just redirect me to speak to Klaviyo support. I talked to Klaviyo chat last week and the person I was on with was uncharacteristically not helpful. Additionally, I have asked other coworkers (in case it’s something on my end) to update the CNAME and TXT records and they are having the same issue.

BigCommerce never lets me save edit to these records. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hi @Kyle_ and @primarytrainer , first of all I’m so sorry to hear that you’re having difficulty with setting up your branded sending domain. I can understand that it’s very frustrating.

Just want to clarify that the new sender requirements are not specific to Klaviyo, these are industry-wide requirements from Google and Yahoo that apply to anyone who sends emails to a Google or Yahoo address (cf. Google’s documentation and Yahoo’s documentation on the matter). This means that no matter which email platform you decide to use you will need to comply with these requirements or risk seeing your emails sent to Google and Yahoo addresses land in the spam folder/be rejected altogether. Yahoo has already started rejecting non-compliant messages as of Feb 1st, and Google will start rejecting non-compliant messages starting from April 1st.

Wo do have a few tutorials that walk you through how to set up a branded sending domain:

Unfortunately we don’t have any tutorial that is specific to BigCommerce, since the steps for setting up your branded sending domain for BigCommerce stores are very similar to the ones for other platforms. That said, for BigCommerce you want to make sure to choose the “Static” routing option which will generate CNAME and TXT records (instead of NS records, which are not accepted by BigCommerce):

Then it’s just a matter of copy pasting the records into your BigCommerce DNS settings as you mentioned.

I understand that you might have already tried this, but can’t save the DNS records inside BigCommerce. Both @kaila.lawrence and myself have escalated this internally with our deliverabilty team to see if we can troubleshoot this for you, so stay tuned!

Thank you so much for you patience as we investigate this,

Mai

Badge +4

Hi @Kyle_ and @primarytrainer , first of all I’m so sorry to hear that you’re having difficulty with setting up your branded sending domain. I can understand that it’s very frustrating.

Just want to clarify that the new sender requirements are not specific to Klaviyo, these are industry-wide requirements from Google and Yahoo that apply to anyone who sends emails to a Google or Yahoo address (cf. Google’s documentation and Yahoo’s documentation on the matter). This means that no matter which email platform you decide to use you will need to comply with these requirements or risk seeing your emails sent to Google and Yahoo addresses land in the spam folder/be rejected altogether. Yahoo has already started rejecting non-compliant messages as of Feb 1st, and Google will start rejecting non-compliant messages starting from April 1st.

Wo do have a few tutorials that walk you through how to set up a branded sending domain:

Unfortunately we don’t have any tutorial that is specific to BigCommerce, since the steps for setting up your branded sending domain for BigCommerce stores are very similar to the ones for other platforms. That said, for BigCommerce you want to make sure to choose the “Static” routing option which will generate CNAME and TXT records (instead of NS records, which are not accepted by BigCommerce):

Then it’s just a matter of copy pasting the records into your BigCommerce DNS settings as you mentioned.

I understand that you might have already tried this, but can’t save the DNS records inside BigCommerce. Both @kaila.lawrence and myself have escalated this internally with our deliverabilty team to see if we can troubleshoot this for you, so stay tuned!

Mai

Hi Mai,

I am aware of all of this. I never said anything to imply that the sender requirements are only Klaviyo. Not sure where you’re getting this from. I am took the office hours workshop and fully understand that tutorial. I have already selecting static routing. I already stated that I pasted in the CNAME and TXT record info from Klaviyo into the appropriate area in BC and that it wasn’t working. You wrote a long reply that is 100% not useful. Before you reply to me in the future, can you make sure that you read and understand what I said first. I specifically said that I am stuck with “loading...please wait” in BigCommerce after trying to save edits to the records on there and that nothing changes for days (going on a week now).

It would be great if Klaviyo support was a helpful and understanding as it used to be. Not sure what’s going on lately. Very disappointing. 

Badge +2

Hi @Kyle_ and @primarytrainer , first of all I’m so sorry to hear that you’re having difficulty with setting up your branded sending domain. I can understand that it’s very frustrating.

I understand that you might have already tried this, but can’t save the DNS records inside BigCommerce. Both @kaila.lawrence and myself have escalated this internally with our deliverabilty team to see if we can troubleshoot this for you, so stay tuned!

Mai

It is 100% not just a matter of copying and pasting. 
Klaviyo needs a true tutorial on this. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

>  I already stated that I pasted in the CNAME and TXT record info from Klaviyo into the appropriate area in BC and that it wasn’t working. 

Hi Kyle,

Unfortunately because I can not access your DNS settings within bigcommerce I must direct you to BigCommerce support: https://support.bigcommerce.com/SupportLiveAgentPreChatPage 

Make sure to tell them that you need to set up the following 4 DNS records which you can access from Klaviyo Settings > Email > Domain. Also, make sure you are not falling into the same pitfall another Big Commerce customer reported below. I am just guessing this might be your issue as well, as I really do not have any visibility into BigCommerce’s DNS management system.

If for some reason Big Commerce Support says that this is impossible please get them to explain why so I can discuss these reasons with my team.

Potential BigCommerce pitfall

make sure you are entering the full domain Name in the Name field, not just the sub-domain ie. “send”

Above is an example of potential confusion for users of BigCommerce where they were not properly adding the root domain into the ‘NAME’ field. Big Commerce support team was able to help them with the screenshot above

Please let me know if this was helpful. I have taken your feedback into account about Big Commerce but please do also share this feedback with them as they are best equipped to action on it.

Thank you,

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Sorry for the confusion @primarytrainer , I responded to both you and Kyle at the same time. I did go through your response in detail and mentioned the following:

A member of our Deliverability team has kindly proposed a solution above ^^^. 

Thanks again for your patience,

Mai

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

EDIT: Our help documentation has been updated to include specific instructions for setting up a branded sending domain with BigCommerce as a DNS provider:

Klaviyo needs a true tutorial on this. 

@Kyle_, there are dozens and dozens of domain providers which makes it impossible for Klaviyo (or any ESP) to provide a specific tutorial for every single one. Though the UI is different, the steps are still the same. Both Mai and I linked our step-by-step guide as well as our live training link where you can ask us specific questions for further help.

To both you and @primarytrainer, I want to reiterate that I understand this is frustrating. However, please keep in mind that we in the community are doing our best to guide you with the resources we have. We are not Support agents and cannot access your Klaviyo accounts, which is difficult when these domain issues are very account-specific. All answers are given with best intentions of helping you troubleshoot the issue and also learn how to resolve it in the future. 

That said, with all the information we’ve walked through today, the issue is squarely on BigCommerce’s side. Klaviyo does not have anything to do with issues on BigCommerce’s platform, and therefore we can’t help you troubleshoot why a menu on BigCommerce is stuck loading or it won’t let you save the records. This is why our replies might seem unhelpful. The solution is beyond the scope of what we control. 

Hopefully, Paxton’s solution above is useful to you as well! However, if it’s not, contact BigCommerce’s support team to troubleshoot this further. If they object for any reason please let us know why so we can figure out next steps.

Thank you for your understanding and continuing to communicate respectfully to everyone in the community. 

Very same issues as above just now, and the attached was BigCommerce’s suggested solution:

Meanwhile, the CNAME setup was done in under a minute.

@travisday 

sounds like you may have found a solution to the big commerce issue. i ahve the exact same run around for days. i am losing my mind. but i cannot get that article to come up. can you put a live link into the answer? I would so appreciate it. Klavio has been useless in this process, as has big commerce. thanks

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

Hey everyone! I edited the answer to this thread to include the update we made to the help documentation specifically for BigCommerce. Please let me know if you’re still having trouble and details of what exactly isn’t working!