New To Klaviyo - repairing sending reputation

• 24 December 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

hi guys, I’m a new klaviyo user.  I’ve been in business for over 20 years and have used many different email providers.  The last one I used wrecked my domain reputation (per google postmaster) - they had known SMTP issues which they didn’t disclose to their customers.

As I transition to this platform I want to make sure I do things in the correct order.

To the experienced users:

• If you were in my situation, how would you proceed?
  • Does anyone know if there’s a way to talk to someone at Klavio about the best approach, or is this the right forum?

For now I’m going to upload my contacts.

Thank you for reading and responding, happy holidays.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @zbuttar,

Welcome to Klaviyo and our Community!

Sorry to hear about the damage to your reputation. On the bright side, your sending reputation can always be repaired and strengthened over time. 

For anyone starting out new, recently migrated to Klaviyo, or looking to repair/strengthening their reputation, my first suggestion is to always start out slow and small. It may seem really exciting to want to send out as much emails as possible to grow your business, to see what Klaviyo can do, or to want to repair your sending reputation sooner, but starting out too fast can actually have a negative impact on your deliverability. It’s going to take time to build up your sending reputation and for inbox providers to understand both your brand and the type of content your sending. 

Starting out with a smaller audience is a crucial factor as well. It may seem suspicious from an inbox provider’s standpoint that if you were a new brand to already be sending to hundreds/thousands of recipients. Similarly, brands that have migrated to Klaviyo from a different provider will require inbox providers to relearn the infrastructure you’re now sending your emails from. Larger audiences have a much higher chance of reaching unengaged recipients weighing down this relearning process. 

Going slow and small is also key to uncovering any deliverability issues that you can address early on. Reaching out to a larger audiences could cause you to miss a dip in your open or click rate since it’ll take a lot more users to ignore your emails before you see a significant impact in their declining numbers. On the other hand, sending too many emails and you could suddenly hit a wall where you see a sharp dip in these numbers.

When it comes to strengthening your sending reputation, this is’t one a time thing; nor is it a quick process. Strengthening your reputation requires time and constant management of your account. 

If you haven’t already, I would suggest taking our Deliverability Certificate Academy course and reviewing some of our Help Center articles like the Understanding deliverability best practices and How to strengthen your sender reputation. You can also check out some of our past Community posts where members have discussed this topic prior such as:

If you’re a bit overwhelmed and need more hands on assistance or consultation on this, I would highly recommending working with some of our wonderful Klaviyo Partners who offer deliverability assistance. Alternatively, you can also post in our Community Job Board to see if any contractors could offer their help too. 

I hope this helps!

David