Solved

Profile shows emailed opened when it was not actually opened

• 30 November 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +17

I use a gmail account to test emails, sometimes putting + and extra letters or numbers after the real email address, so I can test forms, flows, etc. without having to create an actual new email address. Today I noticed on my most recent + gmail address, it showed I opened a welcome email, when in fact, I never had opened that email, but only a holiday email – see image below; each time I opened the holiday email it recorded the welcome email being opened, too. On a different + gmail address, it showed I opened the holiday email, when I never opened it for that account. Has anyone else run into this? Any ideas as to why it shows both emails being opened?

icon

Best answer by In the Inbox 30 November 2023, 16:48

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Hi @JessFosnough 

Thank you for posting your question in the community. 

Quick question for you… are you using an iOS device and the native Apple Email client when viewing the test messages in your gmail account?

If so, this is actually a result of your Apple device pre-fetching images on receipt of the email, when if you don’t actually open the email. Apple does this to improve email load times and have a better use experience on their devices, but, opens are tracked via an image pixel embedded in the email. 

So, even if you don’t physically open the email, you might see the open tracked if your test messages are going to an Apple email client.

I hope that helps!

@In the Inbox 

Userlevel 5
Badge +17

Thanks for your reply, @In the Inbox!

That does make sense -  however, I’m not using an iOS device; I am one of the (seemingly) 3 people in the world who still has an android. :-) Maybe android devices can do the same? I am using the native gmail app on the android.

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

HI @JessFosnough just a though - is it possible that Klaviyo is merging the profiles of all the addresses with the + signs into one? Perhaps that could be the reason it’s showing the opens this way. 

BTW, I am also a proud Android user!  

Userlevel 5
Badge +17

Hi @KatherineB! Thanks for your reply!

I suppose it is possible that Klaviyo is merging the profile information - that was one of my thoughts too. I don’t know for sure, because they show up as separate profiles when I search for them in my Klaviyo account.

I’m glad to know I’m not the only Android user left!

I did a tiny bit of research, and it seems that gmail also pre-fetches images, under certain conditions - for example, when a user has an active session open.