Solved

Setting up dedicated sending domain and email address (on subdomains)

• 7 March 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

Hello.

This is a couple of related questions, please bear with me : )

I have read all the help material regarding setting dedicated subdomains, have set them in the past, but I have a specific “which is better setup” question because domain structure in this case below, is a bit new to me.

Context

I have a website (shop) which is running on a subdomain, lets say:

shop.mybrand.com (on this url is basically box with language selector, where you can select language and enter the particular webstore in selected language)

shop.mybrand.com/de (this is the store for germans, as an example. Different langs are in different sub-folders. ALL languages are on same subdomain just with different lang sub-folders, example: shop.mybrand.com/it would be for italian visitors).

mybrand.com (this is root domain, but if you open it in browser, it is “blank page” as it conatins no content)

Question 1

I currently wish to install Klaviyo for 1 “market” only, lets say for Germany. And once integration happens, I would like Klaviyo to only “collect” past behaviour, emails and profiles from users on German sub-folder site only: shop.mybrand.com/de
My guess is that in order to achieve this, I need to set up scripts to trigger only on this particular site (shop.mybrand.com/de) and not on mybrand.com and other lang instances? Is my assumption correct? (In the long run, I would like to create separate Klaviyo accounts for each lang site).

Question 2

I would like to set-up dedicated sending subdomain. For this I need to enter root domain and define a subdomain (sending domain) such as send.mybrand.com.

Here is the tricky part(s):
In the root domain field of the domains & hosting setting, which is better to use:

1. mybrand.com (actual root domain, but without any real content if opened in browser)
  2. shop.mybrand.com (subdomain which is actually used for all shops in all languages)

The goal is to have optimal deliverability predispositions.

Question 3

Which is better to use in the send domain field:

1. send.mybrand.com
  2. send.shop.mybrand.com

Again, goal is to have optimal setup support for great deliverability.

Question 4

What would be the optimal sending address (without focusing on the prefix):

1. info@mybrand.com
  2. info@shop.mybrand.com
  3. does not matter regarding deliverability 

Additional info: subjectively writing, shorter sendname would be better, as it only contains the brand without the shop part. But I am not sure, if choosing one over another impacts (technically) the deliverability. 

Appreciate your thoughts on this one!

icon

Best answer by David To 15 March 2023, 18:21

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @double d,

Welcome to the Klaviyo Community!

For starters, in addressing your first question, it’s typically best practice to have separate Klaviyo accounts for each of your stores for different languages. I couldn’t put it better than @Omar when he says: “Separate sites - separate accounts” in the Community post below where he explains this further:

As far as your remaining questions go, it would really depend entirely on how your websites and DNS infrastructure is set up. Oftentimes though, you’ll still want to use the main root domain since all of your websites would still be tied back to it. This in turn would influence what you’ll want to define as your subdomain and sending address. 

I know you mentioned you’ve looked through a number of resources, but I would suggest taking a look at some other Community posts on this topic as well. I’ve included some below that may find helpful to this subject:

I hope this helps!

David

Badge +3

David hi.

Thx for the reply, although it is a little vague for me.

I have just one thing that I am hoping you can help me with. 

Since the site has different lang. in a subfolder domain structure and we DO wish to have separate accounts for EACH language, I am wondering how would the integration be made? - not in detail but just conceptually.

Lets say I would firstly like to have an account for German audience only, that meas for all people coming to this lang version:

shop.mybrand.com/de

Later on, I would like to add a new Klaviyo account for Italian visitors only, so visitors of the site:

shop.mybrand.com/it

Do I firstly do the Klaviyo script integration on the german subfolder site only:

shop.mybrand.com/de

And later on, open a new account and do a separate integration on the Italian site language subfolder (so 2 separate integrations, regardless of the fact that root domain is the same):

shop.mybrand.com/it

I hope I made my point clear - these things are a little difficult to explain. And i really wish to get this right the first time in order to avoid future “hassles”.

Best regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @double d,

I think you’re on the right track! 

The integration process would really depend entirely on how your backend is setup. For example, if each of these stores have their own ecommerce backend, then you could just create a new Klaviyo account and go through the normal integration process. 

If they were all sharing the same ecommerce backend, then it would be a bit more complicated where you’ll typically need to connect the stores using a custom integration. You can find instructions for this in our Integrate an ecommerce platform without a pre-built Klaviyo integration Developer guide.

Keep in mind that you can also still access all these Klaviyo accounts by using the same login credentials. The key here is when you’re creating these new accounts that you’re using the same email address/username and password but a different company name. Checkout our Understanding multi-account user privileges Help Center for more on this.

David