Solved

Subscription orders being falsely attributed to marketing? How to fix?

• 1 September 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hi!

I have a recurring monthly subscription item in my Shopify store so each month customers are billed on repeat. I’ve noticed that following a campaign, customers’ subscription orders are being attributed to the campaign’s generated revenue. I assume this is because their automated order bills after they viewed the campaign, but they were going to make the order anyway as it’s on repeat. Is there a way I can stop this showing as attributed to marketing, as it’s hugely skewing my data?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by bluesnapper 1 September 2023, 15:17

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

Welcome to the community @yayifications 

I have the same issue (Shopify/Bold v1 subs.) and I don’t believe there is a fix to stop false attribution in Klaviyo for the reasons you’ve stated.

@David To - anything to add?

Regards

Andy

Badge

Thanks @bluesnapper. Really? I’m heavily working on improving my email marketing and was banking on Klaviyo’s analytics to measure the outcome. 

My subscriptions make up a quarter of total revenue so it’s a huge amount to be falsely attributed!

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Thanks for the tag @bluesnapper!

@yayifications, if your business relies heavily on subscriptions, a common solution would be to implement a custom placed order that would only fire and record non-recurring orders. You could even take it a step further and create a second placed order event that fires just for recurring orders. 

Doing so would allow you to use the custom placed order event for non-recurring orders as your conversion metric instead of the Shopify one - separating out recurring orders from your attribution. 

This strategy has also been mentioned in several past Community posts such as the ones below:

David

Badge

Thanks for the tag @bluesnapper!

@yayifications, if your business relies heavily on subscriptions, a common solution would be to implement a custom placed order that would only fire and record non-recurring orders. You could even take it a step further and create a second placed order event that fires just for recurring orders. 

Doing so would allow you to use the custom placed order event for non-recurring orders as your conversion metric instead of the Shopify one - separating out recurring orders from your attribution. 

This strategy has also been mentioned in several past Community posts such as the ones below:

David

Hi David,

Thanks for sharing those solutions. I have a dev who can do this for me, but the help centre links from those posts are broken so the exact method is unclear. Are custom events something that can be set up within Shopify, or does it require a custom app that listens to order events and sends to Klaviyo? 

Thanks,
Anna

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @yayifications,

Thanks for letting us know! You should be able to find those resources through our Developer Portal

The exact method of how you want these custom events to trigger and be synced to Klaviyo is dependant on how you set things up within your backend. 

David