Solved

Using Secondary Email in the same account?

Badge +2

Hi all! So I’ve just learned about using a secondary email for marketing emails, which I have set up successfully. 

What I’m wondering is: can I use both our regular email (which I use for customers that have purchased to give them tips) and the secondary email (for marketing emails only, an email like hi@emails.domain.com) in the same Klaviyo account? Or would that hurt the sending reputation? 

icon

Best answer by ebusiness pros 24 April 2023, 19:33

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

Hey @ebab4138 

If you’re asking about adding multiple sender domains for different messages, then you can’t have it in Klaviyo as one account can only have one sending domain applied to itself at a time.

Hope that answers your question.

Regards

Mohsin

Badge +2

Hi @inboxingmaestro ok, thank you! Just to make sure I understand, I’d need one account for the email hi@domain.com and one for hi@email.domain.com? I’m hoping to avoid that if possible because, once they purchase, I’d like to move them to the non-marketing email domain for tips/tricks emails. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

@ebab4138 welcome to the community!

I’m curious what benefit you’re hoping to get from sending emails using 2 different domains? That creates more work for you to manage the sender reputation of both email addresses you’re using to send these emails.

It also creates potential confusion and disorientation for your customers, since they now have to keep track of 2 different email addresses if you don’t use the same “from name” for each one…

~ Gabrielle

Badge +2

Oh yeah, I suppose that does seem confusing. My big worry is that, if I change our email sending domain now, the customers that have already received our emails for the last 4+ months won’t receive them as easily since I have to warm up a new domain (and those are the emails I care more about than our marketing ones to people who haven’t bought yet!).

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

Hi @ebab4138 

In general, it’s best to separate type of messages on different sending subdomains, for eg, marketing emails on one sending domain (subdomain), transactional on a different one, triggered (behavioural) on a different one, and so on. This will help mailbox providers like Gmail to understand your mailing patterns better, avoid confusion while assessing content reputation, and score the sender reputation accordingly.

Another good reason to keep different messages on separate sender domains is that, whenever any deliverability issues occur, you should be able to fix it efficiently and your other email stream are not affected by the affected ones (because  each domain carries its own reputation). But, yes! All the sender domains must go through a strategic warmup process for better reputation build up.k and must follow email best practices.

Now it all depends on business goals, use cases, and customer journeys for respective business types.

Here’s what Klaviyo recommends, when it comes to domain strategy:

Root domain: mybrand.com

Sending domain: send.mybrand.com

So, with send.mybrand.com sending domain:

• the emails DKIM signed using mybrand.com using the signatures present on the kl._domainkey.mybrand.com and kl2._domainkey.my brand.com respectively, in rotation.
  • the SPF authentication being handled by send.mybrand.com using the SPF record present on that subdomain, which also serves as the return path address.

Let me know if that’s helpful and answers your question. I’m case, you have further questions, feel free to DM me and we can hop on a call to discuss further.

Regards

Mohsin

Badge +2

Yes, this helps a ton, @inboxingmaestro ! Thank you so much. I’m guessing I’d have to have a different Klaviyo account for sending each of these? Or is there any way to send all of these in one account using different domains? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @inboxingmaestro,

Hi @ebab4138 

In general, it’s best to separate type of messages on different sending subdomains, for eg, marketing emails on one sending domain (subdomain), transactional on a different one, triggered (behavioural) on a different one, and so on. This will help mailbox providers like Gmail to understand your mailing patterns better, avoid confusion while assessing content reputation, and score the sender reputation accordingly.

Another good reason to keep different messages on separate sender domains is that, whenever any deliverability issues occur, you should be able to fix it efficiently and your other email stream are not affected by the affected ones (because  each domain carries its own reputation). But, yes! All the sender domains must go through a strategic warmup process for better reputation build up.k and must follow email best practices.

Did you mean to say “sender address” instead of sending subdomain?

In my experience, when talking about using different subdomains, this oftentimes means you have different stores/websites. For example, separate B2C and B2B sites such as MyWebsite.com versus Wholesale.MyWebsite.com. 

To both @ebab4138’s and @ebusiness pros’s points, this means you’ll need two different Klaviyo accounts - which can cause complications if not managed correctly. 

Additionally, even when using different sending subdomains, the reputation would still be tied back to your root domain. This means damages done to one subdomain would also affect other subdomains under the same root domain. 

However, if you had meant sender address, then I think this would make a lot more sense. I.E. using something like Shipping@MyWebsite.com for order shipping details versus Marketing@MyWebsite.com for general marketing and promotional information. 

Since these emails would still be sent from one sending domain, this alleviates the need to have a separate Klaviyo account just for transactional type content. This further allows you to manage all your profiles, contacts, and data from one source/one account. 

David

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

Hey @David To 

I’m referring to sender subdomain - that’s where reputation gets associated. You can use multiple sender addresses on the same subdomain for different campaign types, if that makes sense.

Now to your second question - I was referring to the subdomain strategy to be used for Deliverability foundation. Websites can also be hosted on subdomains depending on nature of business - b2b, b2c, blog sites, etc. or business use case scenarios but in the world of deliverability, it’s always best to keep different email programs on different subdomains for better deliverability management.

Let me know if you’ve any further questions.

Regards,

Mohsin

Badge +2

Thank you all so much for this! I think I’m still slightly confused - should I have separate Klaviyo accounts for this then? (Ex, one for marketing, one for actual customers, etc?)

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

Hey @ebab4138,

@inboxingmaestro and @David To have given you helpful context. At this point, it comes down to your personal preference of workflow. 

If you feel up to managing multiple sender profiles using the same domain (so shipping@mywebsite.com and marketing@mywebsite.com ) then it that would solve what you’re looking for. If you want to add an extra level of complexity, then you could move into using specific sub-domains for email addresses as @inboxingmaestro described.

Or, you could stay with the current simplest path, and use one email address for sending. If you want to switch the email address you’re currently using for another one, then just take care to build up the sender reputation of the new email address by slowly incorporating it into your email marketing before completing the switch. Verifying DKIM and SPF records in Klaviyo is important also. 

Whichever route you take, you’ll need to take care to maintain the sender reputation. But you can add or take away levels of complexity in that work, depending on what you choose to do. 

If your list is < 100k active profiles, it seems unlikely it would be worth the extra effort of using and managing sub-domains. But you could easily start using different email addresses depending on the context of the flow or the campaign email. I’ve seen other stores have great success using things like “shipping@mywebsite.com” for post-purchase emails and something like “marketing@mywebsite.com” or “info@mywebsite.com” for other marketing emails. 

At the end of the day, I’d encourage you to have the same “reply-to” email address configured for all, so people know who to contact when they need help. And you’d want that reply-to email to be connected to a customer service help desk where that team can help people promptly, so requests for help don’t get lost in another inbox. 

Warmly,

~ Gabrielle, ebusiness pros

Userlevel 7
Badge +44

@ebab4138,

I've had a client that has had big issues with all their corporate personal emails getting marked as spam. Which was a reason to start moving and sending emails from a seconds (sub-sub) domain.

So even though the above answers mainly tackle the deliverability part I have seen companies that require separate domains. This would add @mail.domain.com as the primary from address in Klaviyo and there are certain situations that could use this solution.

Hope this helps.

Omar Lovert // Polaris Growth // Klaviyo Master Platinum Partner

We help with e-commerce growth through CRO, Klaviyo and CVO