What should we do about IOS 17 Blocking UTM Tracking in the near future?

• 20 July 2023
  • 3 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

Hello Klaviyo community!

I hope everyone’s having a great day!

The emergence of user data protection systems from IOS 14 and 15 made tracking and measuring KPIs difficult. And UTM Tracking - a way to track the effectiveness of marketing campaigns by adding parameters to links, helped us solve this problem. 

I love that Klaviyo did a great job with UTM tracking. This feature has been working very well and helps us to measure the effectiveness of Flows and Campaigns.

However, iOS 17 now has a new feature called Link Tracking Protection, which automatically removes tracking parameters from links that are clicked on in Mail, Messages. This means that email marketers who are using UTM tracking to track their iOS 17 traffic will no longer be able to see accurate data.

I did some research and it seems like one feasible option is to use Private Click Measurement (PCM), which is a new Apple feature that allows marketers to track ad campaign conversion metrics without revealing individual user activity.

So how should we treat IOS 17 regarding this? What should we do to track effectively our email performances after IOS 17?
I would love to consult points of view, recommendation from you - people who love email marketing!

Thanks for reading and sharing!
Wish you a wonderful day!

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +28

Hi @Dang Le

Thank you for reaching out with this question, and for this feedback - it is definitely an interesting topic!

Thank you for sharing your ideas and insights! We are currently testing the implications of this update and will be back in touch with more information soon. 

~Chloe

Hi @Dang Le

Thank you for reaching out with this question, and for this feedback - it is definitely an interesting topic!

Thank you for sharing your ideas and insights! We are currently testing the implications of this update and will be back in touch with more information soon. 

~Chloe

Hi Chloe,
I am glad to know so. 
Looking forward to more information regarding this.

Thank you,
Dang

https://www.klaviyo.com/blog/apple-link-tracking-protection